Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Why no complete US Set?

Hi everyone. Been lurking for a while, but will have to come out in the open for the Canadian Registry, so I figure I'd post something.

I've always wondered why there isn't a Registry for a complete set of US coins. The closest to this is the Type sets. Wouldn't a complete set be the pinnacle of the Registry?

Yes, it would be rather costly, and maybe no set would be 100% complete. But, this hasn't kept other sets out of existance.

Comments

• Well, I guess you have the Eliasberg collection as a all time favorite.

The more I think about it, it would be neat to see. Maybe the data base for managing several thousand coins is awkward. In a few years, after the set are weighted and the hype dies down it may happen. A on line inventory of sorts. The real question would be with or without varieties.....

Rich
  • I think this would be a wonderful idea.

Greg
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But they'd have to estimate the grades! image

I wonder if they'd fudge and give Eliasberg credit for being 100% complete? Anybody know the cheapo coin he would be missing if he had his set slabbed?
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliasberg is the only person to have completed a collection of all United States coins buy date and m/m, if memory serves.

I think that it would be a great idea to have 1 major listing off all U.S. coins, which would include all of the bullion, gold, and commems, and maybe, if Singapore brings it up in a post, colonial coins.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • TDN, I have heard you make the comment on Eliasberg missing a cheap coin previously, could you shed some light on it to us, I'm really interested now.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliasberg did not have an 1870-S Half Dime (no one knew of it until after his death though). Not a cheap coin to me, so I may be missing the coin in question.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I would LOVE to see this set, actually I am putting together the data base as we speak, I plan on starting my own...A set to never be finished with years of history behind it....I dream of this set often.

Ray
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliasbergs 1865 3 cent nickel was actually a pattern J410image
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boiler78:

Curse you, curse you, curse you!!! (image! image! image! image!)

I was just going to mention that coin, was scrolling eagerly down the list of messgae to make the post that would establish my brillance only to see that you BEAT ME TO IT!!! Needless to say, I believe you are correct!! image

Mark
    Mark

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great trivia question! image

So, if his set was slabbed, they'd have to call it a pattern and he wouldn't get credit for having a complete set! Sometimes....raw is better! image
  • Any one have a good idea how many coins this set would require?

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have any idea as to what the slabbing fees would be?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson