Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Better to send in a lot of small invoices or one large one

Is it better to send in a lot of small invoices (~30 cards each) or one big one in regards to grades and turnaround time? You will probably get killed on shipping, but I'm about to send in 160 cards and I leave for school Jan 10. Any comments appreciated.
Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM

Comments

• Options
    I've found there to be no difference. I now typically send in well over 100 cards to avail myself of bulk grading prices (I presume as part of the Registry you get cut rate pricing already) so if that is not an issue, I say send em all in and save some on the shipping. I've had equally good and bad results when I sent in smaller invoices previously.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    qmayer,

I'm pretty much with Joe. I've found no difference at all as well. Plus, the difference in shipping 200 cards versus 8 invoices of 25 gets pretty noticeable.

Joe - nice snag on the 71 set on eBay. I won the 72 from the same guy and after going through it - found 379 cards with "the potential" for PSA 9. My guess is that I'll get between 50 - 100. I put in a feeble $3000+ bid in near the end, but you and drivard had taken it past that level. I'm sure that my wife thanks you!!!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    qmayer......

Didn't seem to make any difference one way or the other for me...

Sometimes I send in a few, get 'em back 4 days to 30 days...

Same thing when I send in 300....

MAYBE IF PSA WAS LISTENING........They could give us a little heads up on what they prefer, and I'm sure at least the Registry guys would ablige...

Happy Holidays !!!

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    I always send in the larger cards per invoice, as mentioned to save on shipping. Nothing I hate more than getting a 25 card order back, knowing that I got an extra $1/card into them from S/H...
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    Frank:

I spent more than I wanted to on that 71 set but what is a couple hundred $$$ amongst friends. (Just don't tell MY wife)! I am hoping for some gradeable commons or at least lots of nice ones for my books. I didn't realize it was you hopping in there the last day. I was actually surprised there wasn't more late action on it.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • Options
    I have, with few exceptions, always done better on 50 cards or less. This may be because I tend to go "leaner and meaner" on those. I sprinkle in a handful of salt and off they go. The less confidence I have in the company's current consistency, the smaller my invoices tend to be.
  • Options
    I, too, send in smaller amounts (25 or less) of '56 Topps baseball. When it comes to borderline cards, I have had a few 'grader from heaven' results such as (3) '56 bb PSA 9's and (10) PSA 8's, 8 of which were borderline 7's) from a 13-card submission. And when I get the 'grader from hell' submission (borderline and even some solid 8's coming back as 7's at a 90% rate with a few 6's thrown in), it is cheaper to re-submit these -- which come back as 8's at about a 75% rate with the balance as 7's.

An early bulk submission of 100 cards at the old vintage rate ($7/card) yielded more cards on lower side of borderline than upper side, which caused a large resubmission and higher grading fee/card ratio.

building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options
    Joe,

Let me know how you make out on the 71 Set. I will ask you about it in Fort Washington.

Doug
    Ebay: drivard
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.