Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

So I Stop Into the Card Shop Today

The owner knows that I like baseball cards and asks me how far back I collect. I said only the 70's. He says that a guy stopped in and had boxes of Goudey, Playball, T-206 (he saw a Cobb one), old basketball, football, life sized add with Lou Gehrig on it, gold coins from baseball wins in the 1880's, and 53 Mantle, and the list goes on. His grandfather left it for him.

The guy wants $.18 on the dollar according to Beckett. The owner said he didn't have the money, but the guy is coming back with a list of stuff he has.

I told the owner he should take the stuff in, have the good stuff graded and appraise the rest and sell it on ebay asking the guy for 10 to 15% of total value to sell it on ebay. He didn't want to take the time. I said, heck, give him my number.

We'll have to wait and see.

1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
#15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
#23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Nothing beats the good ole card shop ... I wish there were more around.

Sounds like someone is going to be waiting by the phone. image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

Dalew,

Oh, For the good ole days!!! I can't remember when a BOX passed my way.I hope it pans out as I am sure that you well know that for every one of those deals that comes along,there were 20 that didn't materialize.And Remember to share with the board. After all,sharing is a beautiful thing!!!

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options

Ah for one of those deals, I remember one involving my father at a flea market
    I was 12 1984. Well a guy comes up to my dad while we sat sifting through cards with
    a binder would you be interested in purchasing this binder. My dad replies what
    do you have as he's wearing a yankees jacket for thats his history. Only to open
    the binder with guess what 3 aaron rc's across the top. And get this the remainder
    of the book was mantle all mantle mantle mantle. I've never seen anything like it
    alot in vg (53) vg (54B) then like 3 56's 2 57's and about 180 more...This guy had
    to have been nuts for he wanted only 750 cash and like 5 sets from the 80's I think
    84 donruss....Keep in mind alot of the 60's mantles were nrmt to mt....But the kicker
    of the deal was the guy wanted my old mans yankee jacket oh he was pissed. For
    that was his baby almost spoiled the deal and might have if I wouldn't have been
    pulling on his shirt tail......

So off to the bank we went...Only to promise the father son thing not to tell moms..
    And I never did but it worked great for blackmail haha...Needless to say my father
    wasn't the brightest man or he feared mom to much for he sold off all the nice mantles
    before grading came into effect but to this day he still has 30 or so 5's and 6's...
    And a aaron to boot....

Enjoy, Matt
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Matt, great story and for you an even better memory.

Still have em or did you ever have any of those graded?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

Matt,

Ditto on the Great story!!!
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Guys,

Thanks for I rarely get to share the things that mean most to me or
    to anyone that would understand thats the big thing...I do the ebay
    thing with pops for he handles the paper and I dabble in the cards
    for my funds are limited trying to make living in something that I enjoy
    and give me the ability to hunt and fish and fish...Its not the most
    promising lifestyle but one I've grown too...Doing the little things with
    my dad just make my life happier for I miss all the things we used to do..
    It all came to a hault soon after graduating a smartass kid with a chip
    on his shoulder only to find myself in trouble....So to this day I feel as
    if I've let him down....So anything I can do to tie it back together I do...

So heres another story it was 85 and we were at a show he had a table...
    He used to give me a list with his buy prices and I would scour the show
    finding the best deal I could get under his buy come back and get the money
    then get the cards and pockett the remainder and keep in mind I was good
    for a weekend at the show would net me 75 bucks or so...Not bad for being
    13 only to spend it back with him on 85 wax or whatever...So my biggest
    favorite was the olympic cards of mcdowell, cory snyder, and mcgwire...
    My big three I bought at one show 50 macs at 20 cents a piece for if cory
    snyder would have been big mac I'd be collecting 52 topps for they were only
    a nickell...Needless to say my shares in mr snyder were about 500 strong and
    to this day he stiil has the binder with about 14 macs left and all 500 snyders..

His response is to this day when I came to him for a tip jokingly...Hey kid we
    only broke even for look at that binder of snyders...HAHA you do the math...

Matt