Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Can Someone comment on this?

I just bought a coin that I hope will complete my set. It hasn't arrived yet but the dealer suggested I have NGC grade the coin because they are typically more consistent and could give a grade or two higher on this particular coin. He indicated that because PCGS tends to "Protect" (My interpretation) populations of certain grades they will not be consistent.

Does anyone agree with this? If a coin is MS64 with NGC and MS63 with PCGS (the same coin), won't the MS64 command a higher premium? Does the industry recognize this? Shouldn't grading be consistent if it is all ANA type standards?

Just curious

Dan

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan, I'd go with PCGS in your case unless you are also competing with an NGC Registry.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Dan
    Your question is going to cause a lot of emotional responses I am sure.
    The answer is probably and sometimes and it depends. Standards are not the same between services, there will always be variations and in fact you are dealing with people where it only takes a majority opinion on a coin and not a concensus.
    Good luck, but the services run very tight at times with grading and once out of the PCGS holder, it might not go back if you wanted it to. The question to always ask the seller is, if you could have upgraded it to another holder, why didn't you? The answer is often that it won't upgrade and the other person does not want to take the risk of the downgrade and loss of money.
    I personally only buy the coin I want in the grade I want and if by chance I buy a PQ++ and there is significant upside to it, then I will try an upgrade.
    Good Hunting and the Walkers would love to have you as a collector
    Dick
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer is: it depends! For the most part, an NGC MS64 is worth more than a PCGS MS63. However, the coin may be more illiquid at that price level. If you priced the coin near the same value as a PQ PCGS MS63, it would have the same illiquidity, so in that respect it's a wash. The power of the higher grade holder does have a bit of value, however, and people do like to feel like they are getting a bargain - even when they are getting the same coin for the money. So unless you are needing it for a registry set, I'd go with the coin in the highest graded holder.