Home Q & A Forum
Options

After all these years....

Do you still enjoy grading coins? It struck me when you mentioned that you've graded *millions* of coins. I was just wondering if it is still an enjoyable endevour for you.

Thanks,

Andy
We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Andy...

I do still enjoy grading coins, i.e. the graders from time to time ask me my opinion on important coins and I have been doing reviews for customers with problems. I enjoy that part of grading.

As for actually grading PCGS grader style, it's a very tough job. You have to sit in a chair in a dark room for very long periods of time and intensely focus on coin after coin after coin...and you don't get to pick the coins you look at. Some of the coins are easy and fun...high quality Gems, large runs of dollars or Walkers, modern coins, beautiful commems. Some coins are very difficult to grade...MS63ish maybe RB/maybe Red Indian cents, borderline body bag coins, corroded early large cents, etc. I personally don't have the discipline or patience to do this.

I do still really enjoy coins. My heart still thumps when I look at a truly Gem quality coin. And like most coin dealers, I love to buy coins. I love the Set Registry and I enjoy the message boards. And I really enjoy talking to enthusiastic collectors and looking at their coins. So if you see me at a coin show, please talk to me.

David