Home Q & A Forum

Die Breaks--Do they impact grades?

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
David,

Again, thank you for hosting these sessions.

The question is really multi-part relating to the grade of coins in which have die cracks. On today's moderns I would think the die cracks may play more of a role in determining grade than lets say Libery Nickels.
1) Would a grade be lowered simply because of die cracks? It would seem that the older coins in which are many times loaded with the cracks, and the era in which these coins were struck that the cracks would not impact grades unless for some reason they are plain ugly.
2) Would moderns use the same standards? These coins are produced in an era that is completely different than that of old, and a could a die crack be considered more of a flaw?
3) At some point, does is a die crack considered an error?

Thank you,
Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Die cracks are most apparent on 19th Cemtury coins...especially nickels (nickel being the hardest metal used to make coins.) In general, die cracks are considered neutral in terms of grade and eye appeal.
    They neither lower or raise the grade of a coin. The exception to this might be a coin with a major "ugly" crack in the most prominent part of a coin's design, in which case that might be considered a negative... but I cannot recall a coin that would fit that description.

Modern (post 1964) coins rarely have die cracks. It doesn't seem to be an issue.

A die crack is not an error...it is actully a die state. Sometimes the die failure is prominently placed in such a way that the coin becomes a variety...an example would be the 1855 "knob on ear" large csent.