Home Q & A Forum

Re: Population Reports

Mr. Hall
Why don't dealers return more of their grade inserts back to the grading services? It almost seems that they manage to keep coin prices down by obfuscating the real situation. For instance, I used to be a serious Mercury dime collector and the 1918D turned out to be the most challenging date to find in MS65FB. I think I searched for over twelve years to find a really nice one. When I finally did I remember it had a population of 3 coins certified. Now the reports have 19 coins in that grade or higher. Based on the difficulty I had locating one I would have to say that "no way" are those numbers right. And yet, even though it is already an expensive coin, it would probably be even more so if the "real" census (8-12 examples) were known and publicized.

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    I agree with you that this is a problem. Now that I'm once again more involved with PCGS I'll be doing some things to help out, like...

1. We can actually go into our data base and look at obvious problem pops, such as the 18-D dime, check out the submission history, call the dealers involved, and fix the mistakes.

2. I can call the obvious offenders and pressure them to do the right thing.

3. We can kick out the continuing offenders from the authorized dealer ranks.

Maybe we should publish a list of the obvious offenders so A. collectors could contact them and let them know what they think of their refusal to turn in crack out tags, and B. large retail dealers could let the offending wholesalers know how they feel about the way unnecessarily high pops make it harder to sell coins.

Thanks for the question...I'm on it.