Home Q & A Forum
Options

Toning--Can a novice learn how to tell?

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
David,

Thank you again for another Tuesday session.

I am a person whom likes the way in which a coin was minted and prefer them white to light tone. I see many discussions on tone, and AT. Are there some tips you can pass along to novices like me that can at least help in trying to ascertain the difference in real to artificial?

I don't expect your answer to make me an expert, but a tool to help me learn some of the obvious or easy ways. Hey, you have to start somewhere!

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    The AT question is one of the most complex of all grading issues. Even the PCGS experts struggle with the issue. It's easy to the blatant ATs, but some of the artificial color jobs are very subtle. Personally, I think about the colors I saw in the 60s and 70s, and if I didn't see the color then, I usually get the feeling something is wrong. That's not very scientific, but it works for me. This isn't a good method for younger graders obviously. There is a certain feel to a naturally toned coin. It's hard to explain. You just need to look at 1000s of coins and notice the color...even more so, the shades of the colors and how they intertwine under the light.

Sotty I can't be more help