Home Q & A Forum
Options

Question on Estimated Grades in Registry

keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
David:

Within the Registry for the series that I collect, there are several collections in the all time finest category which are listed as * estimated grades. A couple of comments and then I hope that you will comment:

1) It seems that this will be very inconsistent from one series to the next. What is the criteria to add these collections? Surely there are many top collections in series that occurred before PCGS time and that are not listed.

2) The second part of this is that if the Registry is limited to just PCGS graded coins, why are any of these coins listed? If I had a world class collection with several raw coins, would I be able to list in the Registry?

Thanks in advance for your time and patience.

keoj

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    There are two reasons why we have listed some big-time collections with estimated grades...

1. We felt that Registry participants would want to be able to compare their collections to some of the great collections of the past, i.e. Eliasberg, Garrett, Brand, etc.

2. It is much more accurate when listing the "all-time" best sets to include some of the famous sets of the past.

We have not put a lot of time into this project so the listings are incomplete and not 100% accurate. However, three PCGS founders...myself, Gordon Wrubel, and John Dannreuther...have extensive auction catalog notes (including grades) for all of the great collections that have been sold in the past 30 years.
    We'll be doing a lot more in this area soon. First, BJ and I have to finish all the weighting and variety listings for all US coin series.