Home Q & A Forum
Options

Follow up on MS 1856 FE's

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
Dave:

A few weeks ago we started a discussion on this forum re: 1856 FE cents. You were going to check with your experts re: PCGS's position on slabbing the 1856 S3's as either MS or Proof. Rick Snow, in his latest advertisement, has stated that it is PCGS's new policy to slab 1856 FE's as only proof. Is this a new PCGS policy?

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    There has been quite a bit of controversy among numismatic researchers recently in regards to Mint State 1856 Flying Eagle cents. Some have even suggested that all 1856 F.E. cents are proofs. We've been trying to figure it out for awhile. Our research team is lead by PCGS founder and numismatic researcher extraordinaire John Dannreuther.

Hopefully we'll come up with some definitive answers sometime soon. This is a complex issue. I, for one, am not sure what the "real answer" is. Give us some time, when we publish the results of our research, we want to make sure we get it right.

In the meantime, I urge collectors to use caution until the numismatic community sorts this issue out.