Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What Happened to 20th Century Type Set Guys

20th Century type collectors used to be as active on these boards as even the Mercury dime guys. What happened? No one posts anymore. Has everyone lost interest in 20th century type? Has everyone moved on? Or, has everyone just left the board?

Greg

Comments

• Options
    I have auditors on site and don't post near as much as I used to, plus sold a lot of my earlier coins to help with some financial restructuring. Went ahead and retired the set as it was since I don't know when I'll get to buy them back.

It's harder to rebuild anyway, because I found a hankering for toned classic commems and keep finding neat early Type pieces as well.
    Keith ™

• Options
    I completed the 20'th Century type set. Rather than upgrade I started persuing a longer term goal, the complete type set. I was hoping to get all non gold types in Proof condition if available. I bought one twenty cent proof this year and that was my budget! I have been able to find two sideways upgrades for my proof Jefferson set. I am currently looking for a budget matte proof Lincoln with really neat toning. I can't really afford one just yet but do enjoy having a goal. It makes walking around shows so much fun!
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I'm finding it difficult to find "good" coins for my Type sets. I've been lucky in the past couple of months. I can't even get a Silver State Quarter in PR69DCAM, for crying out loud! Seems they're only available if you buy a 5 coin set. If it doesn't change soon I'm going to break up one of my mint sets and make one myself. imageimage

Dan
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

I am working on the 20th Century Type Set now. The set is the basis of my 1792-1964 type set. I need to find time to register coins into my 20th Century Type set. I still need a liberty nickel PR66 or better to hit my first goal, all coins are MS/PR 66 or better. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I've made no progress on it lately. Still looking for the 1917-1924 SLQ. Mainly focussed on the 1792-1964 CNS type set now.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Mine's only 58% complete, so I've still got plenty to do
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Greg, I've been working on mine in fits and starts, it is harder to find top grades these days with all of the Registry publicity. But I guess that's good for the coins we've already managed to buy...
    Regards,
    Chris
  • Options
    My Type set will stay idle for quite some time. Only coin I really want in it cost $5,000 for an AU and I am not going to buy one of those anytime soon. I have been spending most of my coin budget on Darkside Gold and Silver with not much left for my type sets and the Registry. Plus I think I am board with the Registry for right now, I have a set all set to be posted but I have been waiting for a year and a half for the set to be put up.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Greg - they just saw the light and started collecting Walkers!!image By the way anyone interested in high end and somewhat hard to get type stuff, I have a few pieces that I am still holding on to. Seated MS and Proof Barber.
    Dick
  • Options
    I read this Post earlier and pasted,But Bill's beaconed and response with his post.....

TYPE SET COIN PRICES are more of a gamble than the Stock Market.

Coins cannot be made,they have to be purchased at full dealer prices.

Most have marked up from dealer to dealer and each time marked up and by the time the Registery Particant gets the coin it's unsaleable.

No one wants to pay me for my coins in my type set and just return my investment.

Sent Wondercoin my list 6 months ago with cost but not interested.

IT MAY BE A WHILE,....LIKE BILL SAID.....BUT THIS BUBBLE WILL BURST.

Buy reasonable so some day one can you can get most of your investment returned.That easly said and may take a market crash to get there,but will set on the sideline with lots of money for coins.

Gary
    The Victorian Collection
    EMAIL:
    relictrader@suddenlink.net
  • Options
    I just started my 20th Century Proofs, non-gold and a Modern Type Set. I look at these sets as a lifetime acheivement. There's just no way to work these sets up quick, okay maybe the Modern. But I think you guys that have completed 80-98% of your sets have really done something.

My hat is off to you. Maybe if I'm lucky in another 5-10 years I'll be there!

Michael
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completed the 20th century set (non-gold), but didn't find it to be much of a challenge, as I already had all of the older coins. Rather than upgrade that set, I have several others that will take many years to complete.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    I'm working on the 20th Cent Type Set. There are some coins I'm waiting for that I just can't seem to find that I like. I'm working on the complete type also, but it is a slow, slow process as I keep spending the money for my complete type set on my other sets image

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I am actively working on my 20th Century Type set, no gold, Circulation strikes. Personally I don't think Proof and Circulation Strikes should be mixed. I am trying to have all MS67 coins or higher. It will take me years to achieve this level if I ever do. I just got a new MS67 PCGS Barber Quarter. It will be here tomorrow. I can't wait. mdwoods

P.S. I agree, there is not much posting activity. I will work on doing my share.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    I had great fun putting my 20th century type set together. But its sale went for a good cause.

Bill

My Other Hobby
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Sent Wondercoin my list 6 months ago with cost but not interested."

Gary: Actually, that was 10 months ago! image

It is not that I am "not interested" - it is simply that the set you were offering me (and I do appreciate the offer) was the Proof type set that included proof Silver Eagles, misc modern proof commems, proof Ikes, etc. I simply do not deal in those proofs on a regular basis and I was confident you would maximize your return selling the coins directly to a forum member who wanted to build the same set of coins you had so nicely built.

Now, Gary, I am not arguing your overall conclusions, one way or the other - just mentioning why I was not the "right guy" for that particular PROOF modern type set. image Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.