Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

4 Kings! Congrats dpoole!

Dpoole breaks MS-68 Avg with Lincoln Set! 68.01! Dpoole gets my vote for best Lincoln Set! First you can see the set make-up! (Have to exclude Stewart Blay and High Desert) Second he has pictures! (That takes out Tom Mershon)

Will Wayne Herndon be next? image
Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!

Comments

• RELLARELLA Posts: 960 ✭✭✭
    Don't think that WH will be next...he has a way to go. Cost a Pretty Penny might mount a challenge...also there are at least two VERY nice sets lurking and I think that one will be registered soon.

Then there's always my set (oh wait I sold it againimage)

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Way to go, DP ... amazing average on any circ set, particularly Lincolns. I am in awe.
  • And...uh...congrats to me for finally hitting the 50% completion mark on Lincolns. But it gets pretty pricey from here. image

(And thanks to David for selling me some of his duplicates for my collection!)
  • Nice going David. I feel your painimage
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spooly, everybody, thanks very much!

Spooly I know you're kidding about those guys above me on the ladder. It's no secret that at these rarified heights every hundreth of a point gets pricier and pricier. Also now, I'm more patient about waiting for "the right" coin to come along, as those guys obviously have. Anyhow, I don't see myself catching up with anyone else, on my budget.

I'm with you. I really wish the guys with the best sets would put up their pictures. Not many people do. Wonder why?
  • David Poole and others- Regarding others putting up pictures. My set (Kyle Patrick) only has a few coins worthy of showing a picture. That, and I have no means of taking high quality photos is the reason that I don't put pictures on my set. Oh yeah......there is also the time it would take.....and with so many coins needing to be upgraded (if I ever win the Lotto) it seems like a waste of time for me right now. Oh yeah...I don't play the Lotto. I really would like to see Stewart Blay's set and have told him as much, specially after seeing his Indian Cent collection at Long Beach. It was breathtaking to see a set of coins where everyone of them is magnificent (this was true of all 3 sets being displayed). I would like to see High Desert as well....but they not only don't have to register their sets..... they don't have to show us what the grades of their coins are if they do register them. All we can do is keep asking. I think they should just make a NEW RULE (you can call it Marc's rule if you want) that says the top five registered sets are required to show us what they got (with pictures too!!). Is anybody with me? Marc image
    Marc
  • Hey Marc, welcome to the boards. I was going to actually e-mail you and tell you to join. We need more Lincoln guys here...the Merc people are threatening to take over!
    I concur with Marc's Rule! !Noblesse oblige!
    First item of business...

Since I was boorish enough to neglect to do so in my first post...Congratulations on the great set of Lincolns you have managed to assemble, DP!

Marc,

Nice to see you here on the boards, welcome if I have not said so already. As for pictures...I'm working my way through (hopefully) becoming a copper imaging guru. I know how time-consuming it can be...but maybe you could at least work on imaging the short set sometime? According to the threads I've read the place to start is with a Nikon Coolpix; which is what I'll be getting as soon as the new year rolls around (don't need any more tax writeoffs this year).

MH,

I think there are more of us Lincoln people on the boards than Fishing Lure people but we aren't as good at posting drivel as they are.image

RELLA
    twenty times.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like with all the craziness going on, the asking price should be $10,000 for a 1972 DDO 1c in PCGS MS-67 red as well as $5.000 for a 1984 DDO 1c in PCGS MS-68 red???? imageimageimage

Hmmm original posting erroneously omitted my congrats to you dpoole...sorry I could not make it to chat with you guys Sunday night. I will not be able to make it the next two Sunday nights once again as I am with non-coin collecting friends the next two Sunday nights. image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Congrats Dpoole !!!!!!!!!!
    I love your set. I could only hope to have 1/2 the set you have .

Welcome Marc !!!!
    I agree with Marc's rule.
    If the set is 100% complete,why not show it ?
    TTT image

dpoole now appears to be on the brink of first equaling and then besting the all-time 4th finest MS Lincoln registry set (once owned by fellow Texan Mike Hughes).

Looks like that's just going to be the start of the battle though...some serious sets are climbing the ladder; and a few others prefer to continue to shun the registry spotlight (or maybe they are just cowards who only collect plastic and know their sets can't stand up in real life image). Outside of High Desert...who are the contenders and who are the pretenders? Is the road ahead (the price and availability of high grade Lincolns) going to get rougher, going to get easier, or just going to take a breather and get used to the current level before it starts to move again? How soon before a reasonably nice 67.00 set 100% complete won't even buy a spot in the top twenty?

I have my opinions on these questions ready to go, but would like to hear from EVERYONE else first. No need for roll call....y'all know who you are.

RELLA
    twenty times.
  • I feel a show down a commin....

Four sets at 68+ what a nice display that would be......

Spooly time to start buggin BJ
  • dldallendldallen Posts: 359 ✭✭
    Good Job David! A nice set of copper indeed! Dave
  • Congratulations David on an awesome job! And bytheway - those 3C pieces aren't too shabby either!! image

• Charles Roberts has recently updated and revealed his set. GPA of 68.33 @ 97%. Also, Lauren's Lincolns has risen fast and sits at 68.3, 89% complete.

My feeling is that things will continue to get tighter near the top. Getting there will also get more costly.
    Charles Roberts has put up a terrific set, indeed! I'd heard, of course, that there were some greaty sets out there, and obviously Chares has one of them. Laura's Lincolns have taken a temporary breather, apparently.

Roger, I bet you think that there remains upward pressure still on the Lincoln wheaties, and that the prices are likely to continue going up (though more slowly) for this series, right through until the next "bust." Lots of people are submitting for upgrades, and apparently people are still finding strong raw specimens to submit, even for the rare dates. We got an upgrade at ANA for my 1933.

This is really a strong series.

Thanks for the kind complements!

• michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    congradulations david!!

well done

michael
  • Daivd,

You need to bump yourself 2/100ths up in GPA. This way when Charles Roberts completes his set you will stay in the top 5 of all time. I keep adding coins to my set and yet I keep falling backwards.

BTW is Gerry ever going to register his set? Only when he is #1? Gerry?

Brian