Home Q & A Forum
Options

Mintstate 1856 Flying Eagle

goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
Recently PCGS has decided not to put the MS designation on any more 1856 Flying Eagle cents. At least six of the fourteen MS pieces already graded by PCGS are not Snow-3's. (This is probably the reason for PCGS's reluctance to grade these MS anymore)

I read the above paragraph on a website with a MS PCGS '56 Flyer for sale.....what's your "take" on this?

Isn't the Snow3 easily determined?

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    There has been quite a bit of controversy among numismatic researchers recently in regards to Mint State 1856 Flying Eagle cents. Some have even suggested that all 1856 F.E. cents are proofs. We've been trying to figure it out for awhile. Our research team is lead by PCGS founder and numismatic researcher extraordinaire John Dannreuther.

Hopefully we'll come up with some definitive answers sometime soon. This is a complex issue. I, for one, am not sure what the "real answer" is. Give us some time, when we publish the results of our research, we want to make sure we get it right.

In the meantime, I urge collectors to use caution until the numismatic community sorts this issue out.