Home Q & A Forum
Options

How does the retail market treat coins that are in the 3 different era holders

How does the retail market treat coins that are in the 3 different era holders produced by PCGS? I notice on E-Bay the seller always identifies if the coin is in an "OLDER PCGS HOLDER, SECOND GENERATION PCGS HOLDER, NEW PCGS HOLDER". Do older holders bring a premium or discount or no effect? For those that are putting together a registry set, do you make a box that will hold the different size PCGS holders? Have you ever made or considered making a U shaped inset that could be placed in one of the slots in your new box that would accommodate an older style PCGS holder? Thanks for your consideration of these questions

Guardian
Guardian

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    In general, the retail market seems somewhat oblivious to "old holders.' I think this is good, because dealers swoop up any old holder coin they think is undergraded and crack it out for resubmission. Consequently, any old holder coin you see offered by a dealer is most likely an old holder coin that's right on the nose for the grade. If it was me, I would buy the nicest coins I could find and I wouldn't worry about the holder. Anything I bought in an old holder I would send into PCGS for reholder so all the coins in my collection would match.