Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Christmas Rack Packs

In an effort to buy some cards in raw form in order to add to my sets I was looking at possible purchasing some vintage packs. I came across some "Christmas Rack Packs" from the 50s and 60s. These are Topps cards, but they do not appear to be issued by Topps. Can somebody shed some light on what these are and the condition that one could expect to find? I was also wondering if these were searchable as I know some older rack packs are.
Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
54 Red Hearts
and now 64 Stand ups

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    As a pack collector, I'd advise against opening any of the Christmas Racks. They are quite searchable, with typically 4 cards per "cel" in the rack, and for some reason the cards seem to be in worse shape than from other unopened media. Plus, crazy pack collectors like me drive up the price such that the average value of the cards inside is much less than the cost of a pack. Good luck,
    Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    They're in bad shape, they were packaged after-market, and they are not "ideal" investments for a pack collector.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Stay away from them if your intention is to obtain raw cards for your sets. You are paying too much of a premium for the pack aspect. They contain very few cards, they are not high grade, and they can be searched but it really isn't necessary to do so. They were not packaged by Topps. They were not packaged in the same year as the year of the card contained inside. A popular theory among those selling them is that they were packaged in the 60's.
  • Options
    LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Thanks for the input. I thought I remembered reading about these in the past, but I was unable to locate the threads.

Luke
    Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    STAY AWAY!!!!!! I bought a 1959 Christmas Rack about a year ago that advertised the cards inside as near mint. This pack had a Mays on top. The cards were total junk!!!!! I think the Mays may have graded a five if I were lucky but realistically would have come back a four. I'm serious, these cards were that bad. Needless to say I promptly got my money back and I now ignore this person's ebay site. I say again. STAY AWAY!!!!!!
    I collect the 1960 and 1961 Nu Card issues. I also enjoy the 1959 Fleer Three Stooges.
  • Options
    I would stay away from these rack packs.....they have usually have all stars or some have all Dodgers or Yankees.....I've never seen true NrMt-Mt cards in them.
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options

Hi,

I bid on a couple of those on E-Bay a while back from some guy that was selling them as a private auction where the bidders identity was concealed.I made the mistake of not checking his feedback and when I did I was sweating bullets until I was outbid.He had feedbacks that showed that he was repackaging them and had made the mistake of inserting a card that had a wax stain on the back.What an idiot!!! I can't remember his ID but you can easily identify this guy by his auction methods(as previously stated). I agree with the other members on this topic.STAY AWAY!!!. Whatever condition your are looking for can usually be found on E-Bay and many times in the form of larger card lots.Go to sets in the favorites catagories and you will find almost anything if you are patient. A lot of the times you can e-mail sellers and they are willing to sell lots if they have them.Good Luck.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I've heard various stories from various sources regarding the origin of the Christmas packs, but nothing I've ever thought was 100% reliable and definite. Most likely they are similar to those packs you see in Target that have 50 random cards of all makes in them. I've heard they came from a single department store chain, a candy distributor, Topps themselves, or are just recent homemade creations. One thing I can tell you is definite, though, is whoever packaged them had a sense of history and/or humor. A few years ago there was a batch of them from various years on ebay including a 1962 rack. Two of the face cards were Roger Maris and Tracy Stallard. And if you don't know those cards, Stallard has a look on his face like a little kid after a bully stole his favorite baseball cap peed on it. Maris, of course, is following through a swing with a slightly more perplexing look on his face. Those two cards, facing each other, made me laugh for quite a while.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    i gave in last year and bought a '53 xmas rack pack. i threw in a bid and surprisingly won. complete waste. the cards on top were in the best condition to fool everyone. i think i ended up with 12 cards and there were 2 sets of doubles. the cards inside were so bad in contrast to the nice outer wrapping that it seemed quite obvious someone had made this pack. but how could i prove it? i guess most dont open these up-stay away!

bobby
    Bob