Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The Hunt

As I get further into my type set building, I'm finding I need to hunt harder for each new coin I add. A simple 1917 MS64FH SLQ took months to locate. I have yet to attain a nice seated half, bust dollar/dime/quarter, or flying eagle cent.

Finding an attractive coin in the grade you want at a reasonable price is not easy! While I enjoy the hunt, the time between finds can drive me nuts!
Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• Options
    Brian,

Looks like price is the key determinant ... I would agree with you as in my modern Type Set, the next most cheapest upgrade would probably be about $100 (and that is only on two coin series that I am not currently hot on, for now). To get anything I really want would be $300+.

We won't even go to my Ike collection where 1 could be about $150, a second about $350 and the rest $600+++.

Needless to say, I have recently concentrated on my clad quarter set which still yields me some reasonable MS66 prices around $20 and an occasional MS67 at a little more than $20 image (that is to leave a full accounting for my darling wife, should she ever stumble upon these valuable and honest threads ...)
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Hunt is the Fun. You are absolutely right about finding the right coin in the grade and price structure you need. Seems to me that sometimes the right coin just has not been made yet. Strange how some of these right coins are also considered common to the collecting community also.

Let the hunt continue.

Ken
  • Options
    Brian:

I feel exactly the same. For my 20th century mint state type set I need a type 2 SLQ from 1917 to 1924. Looking for a 66FH. From the pop reports these should be available in the more common dates. While a couple of the scare 5K plus dates are on the market, none of the common dates are available. I am willing to pay up for one, but no luck. And forget about trying to find a nice MS66RD IHC.

It is frustrating.

Greg