Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Elusive 1970 Topps Willie Stargell

Why is this card so hard for me to get.

1970 TOPPS WILLIE STARGELL PSA 8

I have bid on it 3 times in the last few months. In PSA 8, it has a pop of 22 with SMR of $25. Obviously, the SMR is low, but this card has gone for over $60 every time. I have a PSA 6 and two raw cards that won't grade any better. Does anyone have a raw card that will grade 8 or better? This is frustrating (I'm sure Chris R. feels the same).

JEB.

Comments

• From looking at bidding histories, it looks like there are a lot of people who want this card, and who are willing to pay about $60.

There are fewer now, maybe, but it still looks like several ahead of you.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • I am going to start looking for the card in shows, perhaps even raw. I sent in one from a pack that I was sure would get an 8, but it got a 7, so I might crack it open and try again.
    Collector of baseball PSA sets from the 1970's & hockey rookie cards; big New York Rangers fan (particularly now that they are sleeping with the enemy with Holik and Kaspiritus). Also starting to collect 53 Bowman Color as I think they are the most beautiful cards I have seen.
  • there are a lot of cards in this set that will drive you crazy. take your time....
  • I know I have to take my time. There are a few cards from this set that, unless I find a great raw card, are going to take a long time to get.

ChrisKK - By the way, how are you doing on your 1970 set? I remember you saying you were going to put it back on the registry soon?

JEB.
  • my set is going back up, it should fall in about 8th or 9th. i have sorted out all of the dups and am ready to get back into it. thanks for askingimage
  • Will I still be #2, or have you been grabbing all of the cards that I want? A little friendly competition never hurts.

JEB.
  • I guess I jumped in before your edit. I guess I still have some room to breathe.

JEB.
  • you are safe for now image i will be chipping away very slowly. Chris R. keeps me from making any real strides. no problem, i will always be in the shadows. image
  • We should just let Chris R. finish his set and then go after the cards. It would save a lot of money. I wish I wasn't so compulsive a buyer sometimes. I've beaten him a few times, but it hurts the checking account when I do.

JEB.
  • I know what you meanimage Chris and I seem to lock horns more than i would like to. with him sniping now you never know if he is in or not. i seem to be checking the others collections before i bid to high. i have to use other sources to get the low pop cards. they are out there you just have to search, search and search some more.

happy hunting
  • I know what you mean. I just got 9 nice cards for this set outside of ebay from another member of these boards (thanks Jay image). I've located some more that I need on another site, but the prices are equivalent to high ebay final bids. It will just take some time.

JEB.