Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Centering criteria

Any way to tell when this card was graded? I measure it as 80 - 20 side to side. How did it escape the dreaded "oc"? Note the weak bidding pattern: a nice 58 Mantle PSA 8 will usually bring about $2500. Nice to see that people buy the card, not the holder!

58 Topps Mantle PSA 8image
Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!

Comments

• Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Just checked the cert # of this card....it's registered as 8 oc!! Something's fishy here. image
    Frank

• Options
    Twho possibilities:

1) Mechanical error. PSA put the wrong flip on it.

2) The seller had it reviewed, the took the qualifier off, and they didn't update the database.

You should ask the seller what is going on.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    Bruce - Will check with seller. Doubt they'd take the oc off on review; it's not even close to PSA 8 standards.
    Frank

• Options
    3rd Possibility - Digital Enhancement. It's easy:

I'm not saying this is the case here. I think I know who this seller is. Based on his email address and location in West Palm Beach, FL. I think this guy used to have a shop about 2 miles from my house. I used to buy supplies from him every once in a while and he seemed like a really nice, reputable guy (had a lot of cool memorabilia in the shop). But the store closed about 1-2 years ago. Never heard what happened. Maybe he decided to go online full time (he's got a pretty high feedback on ebay). Less overhead costs, I guess.

JEB.
  • Options

<< <i>3rd Possibility - Digital Enhancement. It's easy. >>

like this?
  • Options
    WOW - Now that's scary!

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options

<< <i>WOW - Now that's scary >>

Wayne - Yes it is scary. The bad thing is that it takes about 30 seconds to do.
  • Options

Wayne you said it all with WOW these guys are too dang smart for meimage
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    Again, this just illustrates another useful service from PSA. I usually check the certification area on their website on any expensive PSA card I'm bidding on. It saves a lot of headaches later on.image
    Frank

• Options
    Kudos to the seller...here is his response:

Hello. Thank you for letting us know. When we bought the card we thought it should have been OC. We checked the website and you are right it is an OC. They mismarked the grade. We are going to end the auction and contact PSA.

Nice to see honesty on EBAY!

Frank

• Options
    I agree, and based upon that I would fault them very little if at all.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These mechanicals must be costing PSA a fortune. I get one almost in every shipment, though I usually submit 150-500 cards a pop. I wonder if they have a second inspector to check the labels. With the amount they spend on shipping and reholdering of these errors, they could probably pay someone $5.50/hr to catch these at the source and they'd still come out ahead.
  • Options
    "they could probably pay someone $5.50/hr to catch these errors"

this would not be a realistic salary for anyone working in newport beach calafornia. that is in orange county which is the richest per capita in the world, so not many people making ends meet with minimum wage there
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    To play devil's advocate for a moment, here is the criteria for PSA 8:

"Centering must be approximately 65/35 to 70/30 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse." (emphasis mine)

I measure approximately 70/30 (actually around 72/28 using crude instrumentation). Now, if the corners were PSA 9 quality, couldn't this still be an unqualified 8? I still believe it is a mechanical error, but what are your thoughts on this?
  • Options

<< <i>...what are your thoughts on this? >>

I think you have a GREAT signature line
    picture! Thanks for sharing it with everyone!

(and you are likely right about the card too!)

~jeff
    imageimage