Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Report from the White Plains coin show

This is usually the largest and busiest of the four White Plains shows, but I thought the attendance (both dealer and collector) was somewhat light today. I thought there were a few dealers missing and one of the dealers I spoke to said that the big show in Michigan this weekend drew some of the dealers away. I thought the stamp dealer to coin dealer ratio was higher than in the past couple of years, as well.

That dealer also said that collector traffic yesterday was lighter than he was used to. I got to the show today at the opening (10:00 a.m.) and floor traffic didn't get heavy until about noon.

As usual, much of the inventory on offer was the usual stuff: unc Morgans, classic Commems, ultra-high grade slabbed modern Commems, etc. I saw rather little in the way of Seated material (Jim O'Donnell wasn't there) or pre-1834 gold or Flowing Hair or Draped Bust silver (nor did I see any nice circulated Barbers or mint-marked Mercuries or Walkers from the teens and twenties - but then, I never do).

Hey EVP: I did see a slabbed AU (I think) 1863 Seated Dollar. When was the last time you saw one of those? Other than that, saw very little (and no new) Seated dollars or early Seated halves. I saw several dealers who still had Seated dollars that I first saw a year ago or more.

Saw almost no (and no new) New Orleans half eagles or eagles, except for a flashy 1851-O eagle in PCGS-55 (a bit too rich for me, though.)

Tom Hyland had a decent amount of new material, including a stack of Bust halves. I picked up a nice XF 1821 that has a very strong strike (nice strong lines on the eagle's shield). It's toned a nice even dark gray. Very pretty, I think.

Tom also had a few early generation PCGS slabs. I picked up a 1944-D Mercury in MS-65FB as an impulse purchase. (I'd like to thank Conder101 for attracting my attention to early slabs.)

I also saw an NGC-65 Morgan with the prettiest iridescent sea green toning on the obverse. I was observing it quite happily until I remembered: 1) I don't buy Morgans anymore; and, 2) I certainly don't buy MS-65 Morgans! (Personally, I blame the toning advocates here for trying to suck me into their evil ways by showing some really impressive pictures!)

The Parsippany show tomorrow should be its usual self, as most of the dealers at White Plains who also go to Parsippany were planning to be at Parsippany tomorrow.

Edited to add: I also overheard three dealers talk about buying slabbed red copper. Their concensus was that it's better to buy glossy Brown than to buy Red ('cause it's gonna turn to Red-Brown in the slab anyway) or Red-Brown ('cause it's usually blotchy-looking).

Check out the Southern Gold Society

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there today with a buddy of mine. I went there for two reasons: to meet Roadrunner, and to see a specific coin that ended up not being there. The show seemed a lot more sparse than I remembered it. I don't go that often, but it usually had a lot more stuff that don't attract my attention.

I was only at the show for about an hour, most of which I spent looking at Roadrunner's coins and showing him some mine. (I brought a spread of UNC Seated Dollars to show him.) Then, I left to eat lunch and then took off. (Missed Oreville too.)

I, too, was surprised that O'Donnell wasn't there. Gus Tiso's inventory seemed sparse, from what my buddy told me. Tom Hyland seemed to have some interesting stuff, but I didn't look carefully. Gary Parietti had 2 pre-1858 proff Seated Dollars, both badly hairlined and unslabbable by PCGS or NGC. Still, they were fairly attractive for what they were.

Some dealer there had raw MS62 1867 Seated and 1876-CC Trade Dollars. Both were A/T'ed to hide hairlines. Yuck.

I didn't notice much else -- except for the plethora of stamp dealers -- because I didn't have enough time to really walk the floor.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    EVP:

I also saw that Gary Parietti still had that NGC-50 1846-O dollar that I first looked at last Thanksgiving.

It's toned dark gray and looks rather nice, except for the 'ding' just above the eagle.

I recall that he wanted $1,000 for it, which seemed too pricey for me.

By the way, I also picked up some stamps for 90% of face - hey, a dollar here, a dollar there, pretty soon I have more coin money!

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was there a lack of newer material from what you guys saw in the dealer cases that usually attend this show ? This was quite apparent out here in Oregon at the small show I went to today. Have been seeing the same stuff for about a year now and some dealers are well aware of the lack of inventory that is becomoing available.

Ken
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Fairlaneman:

There was certainly a lack of new material in the series I focus on - Seated halves and dollars and O-mint gold.

I often think that one of the reasons dealers focus on "moderns" is that they can get inventory to sell.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVP, thanks for letting make take a perusal through some of your seated dollars. You had the best selection and spread of quality of seated dollars at the show! I was pleased to show you and your friend the coins I brought. Too bad I didn't get a chance to meet Oreville. And I think I confirmed that I am the slowest eater yet seen.

I walked the floor 2-3 times but it just didn't get any better. I looked at about 8 or so "UNC" seated halves and only 2 of them were rub free. One was a decent 1863-s in NGC65 just back from the Goldberg Sept. auction. If it hadn't been just a tad overdipped at one time I might have considered it. The same dealer also had an 1853 seated dollar in NGC63. It appeared to have good luster but the coin was pretty dark and in the poor lighting it was hard to really see it. This is one show where you have to get to the exterior rows to get under an overhead ceiling lamp to see a coin properly. The show's center lighting is very deceiving and few dealers give you enough wattage to break through it.

Also saw a neat 1803 Lg. cent NGC66 BN that had the look of a gem 1856 large cent!! The nice strike, color, perfect cartwheel luster, and absence of marks or planchet imperfections was most peculiar for such an early coin. 2 minute spots at the outer edges of the coins were the only things I could find keeping the coin from a higher grade. The owner was Gemini coin of NY and he was asking $23,500. Heck of a coin and it didn't seem like a bad buy. I can't imagine a draped bust copper looking any better in brown UNC.

I ended up buying 2 coins and probably paid too strong money. One, an 1866 seated quarter in ANACS AU55 (old black label holder) that was undoubtedly fully mint state. The outer edges/rims of the coin and Miss Liberty's head were fully up and just covered with luster. The field luster was 100% full too. ANACS I believe just messed up on the fact that most 1866 business strikes come flatly struck in the centers. But that's no reason to downgrade a technical MS63+ coin down 8 points. Also bought a knockout 1888 seated half in PCGS MS65 (1st gen holder) that was a lightly toned original skin coin with blinding flash. Hard to believe that this is what used to be the standard for a 65 coin. Actually this one would have been a 65+ back in 1989 too. The coin had more eye appeal and oomph than nearly every 66 I've seen in the past year. And sad to say, I've seen 67's that were not as nice as this at $7000+. But I paid dearly and probably fairly for the coin too.

Overall the show was sort of dead for a Saturday and I heard several dealers say that. The show is not well advertised IMO. It could be one of the best regional shows around but it has been slowly dying since the late 80's. Quality material pre-1917 was generally lacking. Didn't see any monster modern Washingtons, Ikes, etc. either.

Thanks again to EVP for show and tell. I think we both learned a little more today. Your friend had some very nice seated quarters.
    We'll have to meet again down the road. And folks, don't let EVP's sometimes sharp cracking whip (and wit) fool you. He's a gentleman in all regards and must put up his "Mr. Hyde" exterior at times to keep the bugbears away. Thanks for a good time.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's a gentleman in all regards and must put up his "Mr. Hyde" exterior at times to keep the bugbears away.

SHHHHHH!!!

Actually, one of the reasons I wanted to meet RR was because I knew he was bringing a Seated Dollar that had the (realized) potential of knocking my socks off. It's a true gem, unlike so many others that happen to reside in gem holders. You know the saying that if you want a superbly lustrous coin, get one that's fully frosted? Well, RR's coin has superb SATINY luster. The guy bought it as a type coin to boot! (It's an 1870, which is incredibly underrated!)

I am a little bit disappointed that I missed the 1853 in 63. I'm looking to upgrade mine (also a 63). It's too bad that I didn't see the two other Seated Dollars that the bunker bunny image mentioned.

Here's a tip, guys: I saw a fair selection of raw bust silvers there. It behooves me -- and you -- to learn to attribute these babies w/o an aid so you can cherry. Or, just buy all the original, problem-free specimens at reasonable prices and then attribute them at home. You can always sell the common ones later. They're really cheap in low grade. Even bust halves in EF are less than $200 for the mid- and late-date specimens.

And, I believe there was an EAC meeting there today as well. That surprised me...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file