Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you guys think of this coin pic?

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

For some reason, I never seem to be quite satisfied with my coin shots, so I keep re-shooting and re-shooting, trying different lighting approaches. Been playing with it some more today, and produced the above.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    There's no color on that thing - it's just black and white! image

Gorgeous!
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I'd say that's a winner.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, though the light from the top was a bit too intense. Might try moving the black curtain around a bit to see if you can reduce the glare.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Thats a nice shot.Its the pinkish color from the Reveal bulbs?Other than that its killer.Black fields,frosty devices..Nice.69 DCAM?
  • Options

<< <i>though the light from the top was a bit too intense. >>

nwcs,

I agree. The big thing I've been working on is getting the lettering to appear correctly, but when I reduce the intensity of the lighting coming in toward the top of the head, I lose some of the lettering detail.

<< <i>Thats a nice shot.Its the pinkish color from the Reveal bulbs? >>

Cam40,

It's the white balance setting I was using. The Reveals are essentially neutral. Yes, it's a 69DCAM.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    The coin sucks. Couldn't you find a nice one.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Overall good pic Russ. I agree about the lighting washing it out a little on top but it looks pretty crisp and you have the black and white look down pat.

This is the best Proof Kennedy (actually best proof shot) I have ever done.

Proof Kennedy

While it isn't perfect and has a little wash out too, I wish to heck that I could remember exactly how I did it! I do remember that I made up a little black cover for my camera that left the lens exposed but little else. Getting pics I am happy with is frustrating at times.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

You definitely captured the deep cameo well, but the hair detail got flooded out
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

<< <i>I wish to heck that I could remember exactly how I did it! >>

Yep, I can relate to that!image I need to start doing charts or notes.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ, that's a beautifull coin! Straight out of the early 60's, black and white. Was it graded? If so what was the grade.

Ogden

• Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    That shot looks good. I little hot near the top, but good. Now whats your camera rig Russ. You might try angling the coin in relation to the camera. My Dad willed me the collection he had. He was an avid photographer also and I have his rig. Its analog equipment but I want one of those digital bodies with 4M pixels to use with my macro lens.
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    Okay, what do you guys think of this one?

Humongous, gigantic scan by clicking here.image

I lowered the wattages a bit, and tried different angles to remove the washout at the top of his head.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Russ - I like the latest shot better in terms of dialing back the whiteness. It also looks like light is coming off his face, a very cool technique. Next trick is getting rid of that slab reflection. IMO, you are past the typical criteria for nice images here. Looking forward to your next masterpiece. (Wouldn't be another Kennedy, would it? image )
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey russ

fc57 commented that there's no color, yet on the first it has a slight pink color and the second has a little less so but the addition of a green tint to the back of the head. how many lights and where do you have them positioned?? i prefer the second shot because it gives more detail. i'm off to buy lights tomorrow.

al h.image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ,

Nice photos! I wish I could do about 1/4 as good. I am shocked, though, its not a 64AH.image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Second pic is very nice. Fined the washout quite well, the details are very nice too. Just a little 'punk rock' look to the hair, though. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    Second one looks perfect.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Almost perfect. I'm with Tom. Just the non-coin related slab reflection. The color and balance of the pic is perfect.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Russ,
    I offer my comments only from the point of veiwing the photos. The second was best IMHO. I am NOT experienced with photographing coins and certainly not experienced with Kenndeys.

I have read on the forum that if you drap a scraf (sp) one that is transparent and not colured, over the offending light source, it "smooths out the glare".

My personal comments are that I envy you the ability to take and publish such nice photos.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Russ,

They're both quite nice! The top one gives a good balance between the edges of mirrors and devices. The second one is more pleasing to the eye because the details of the devices are much more evident.

I keep wondering if there's some type of snap-on glare filter that we can use on our cameras that will do the trick on the glare and contrast issues that arrive - especially with proof coins...

Cool coin! I can appreciate the work you put into this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file