Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1925 Stone Mountain Double Die question

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
Most of you know, I don't deal in early commems. Usually, the ones I have are BTW or WC. Saying that, today I got a package back from ANACS and I had the 1925 Stone Mountain come back as a Double Die obverse. Does anybody know if it is worth more than a regular Stone Mountain? I couldn't find one on Ebay or in the Teletrade archives.
This is the first time in almost 3 years I have used ANACS. The turnaround time was quick with the 10/10/10 service, but their grading seemed strange. All 7 of the SMS and proof coins I sent in came back 66 and one type coin they pregraded as MS63 came back 58. Strange!!
Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody?
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Michael- I am looking through auction catalogs for a coin like yours right now but I have found nothing yet. mike image
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Michael- Rare Coins of New Hampshire has 2 double obverses for sale in MS 66 for $750. I would think they are worth a premium.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I am glad mommam17 found something as I looked through my auction catalogs and checked a few places on the internet and found nothing. mike
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    The double die obverse is a super common variety. It's a nice variety because it's easy to see but in my opinion isn't worth anything extra. It is listed in the Cherrypickers book.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really worth a considerable premium. Just saw one close on eBay for short money. I've owned several myself. They're neat, and they're interesting. But not worth a whole lot more.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Rare coins of New Hampshire must think they are worth a premium to ask $750 for a 66. That`s a lot of money for even a nice 66.
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    About two months ago I bought an original roll of Stone Mountains. I sent them to NGC and got 1 MS-64, 15 MS-65 and 4 MS-66. Most of the coins were attributed with the double die. When I called around to sell the deal I couldn't find anyone that would pay extra. I did better marketing it as an original roll. That's just my experience. Maybe they are worth extra but no one I tried to work with would pay any extra.
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    As others have said, it is a common variety. Most of the time it is worth a small premium. I've sold several in the AU-MS63 range and the premium was maybe a few dollars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file