Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Closed proof sets? Let the buyer beware!

I had an interesting conversation with a coin dealer on Friday. I was doing some shopping in Delaware, right past PA border (TAX FREE image). A dealer I knew there had moved and I decided to find out where he moved. When I found him I realized I left my money at home image and armed with $20 bucks I came into the store. I was looking around and talking to him. The conversation drifted towards proof sets. He said there aren't real closed proof sets anymore. I know that most of you are thinking about steaming the envelopes open and then resealing them again, but here is the part I learned something new. As you are aware (I hopeimage) it is illegal to counterfeit money etc. but how many of you knew that is not illegal to reprint the mint envelopes from the comfort of your own house?

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but how many of you knew that is not illegal to reprint the mint envelopes from the comfort of your own house? >>

Not only did I know, I have quite a few examples of bogus envelopes. They are also readily available on eBay. Fact is, though, there are still some genuinely unopened sets, they just don't come from coin dealers.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    He said there aren't real closed proof sets anymore.

Sure there are. I've bought boxes of them. It takes some looking and finding some honest people, but they are out there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file