Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are You Suspicious of E-Bay Sellers When...

... they have solid feedback, but hardly any in the last six months AND they have dozens of coins for sale? I've passed on bidding on a few coins in cases like this.
Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Depends. image I fit into this scenario. Starting Friday I've sold on ebay for the first time. My feedback had all been buying before then, but none in over 2 months. I think some people tend to be spur of the moment/whim sellers -- as I will be. Once I sell off those coins I have in mind to sell, I'll probably not sell again for a while.
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about it unless they weren't selling coins before. Just lowball junk then high price coins. Now that worries
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm I do that all the time, I won't sell or buy anything for months at a time on Ebay. I go through what I have and if I think the time is right to sell what I no longer want to keep I put it up for sale. Most of the stuff is good quality. Those that churn to earn send up more red flags to me, unless they are dealers. Why because they buy low grade stuff or are impulse buyers.
  • Options
    Like this ebay seller?

This was posted on RCC. His feedback is from buying only and all the auctions are all private. Counterfeit items?

Dan
  • Options
    It's not worth the time and effort for me to keep a steady number of auctions going. I wait until I've got a bunch of junk...er, coins to list, and then put them on all at once. It'll be five months until my next batch of auctions. Unless I run out of money before then.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I tend to be suspicious when the seller isnt offering any Frankies!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    I do the same thing as twodogs. It's a pain to get my camera set up then transfer all the images from my laptop to my pc (my pc runs windows 98 and there's a software problem linking directly to my camera.) Then I have to up load to my image hosting service. Then compile the ads. So, I wait til I have a dozen or so items ready and that could be months in between listings.

I'm more suspicious of sellers with no feedback. I think eBay should have a rule that you need to complete a minimum of 10 transactions as a buyer with unique sellers before being able to sell an item. Probably the vast majority of fraudulent transactions come from people who are little to no feedback sellers. This rule would make it harder to set up a bogus account and easier to track someone after a phoney sale.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry if their feedback is positives. I would worry if they had not-so-good feedback.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

I'm suspicious of ALL eBay sellers, including myself.image

• Options
    Brian,

I usually sell on eBay in cycles (late 4th quarter, mid 1st quarter to early 2nd quarter). All of the other times, I am either gardening or doing other "stuff". Selling on eBay does take quite a bit of time, that is why I like selling to the boards at a discount. Over the past 4 years, my feedback is about 610 (or so).
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file