Home U.S. Coin Forum

Stupid things collectors do!

SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
Sometimes I have to laugh at myself (after I get over being pissed) about some of the stupid stuff I do.

Have you ever forgot you bought a coin and bought another one just like it? Sometimes I think my collection is just to big.... I can't manage(remember) eveything. I have coins in boxes on my desk... boxes in the home safe.... boxes at the bank. I try to track everything in a spreadsheet, but with coins coming in and out every week sometimes I lose track.

About twice a year I pull out everything and lay them out on the floor and do a review of my collection. Only to find out than you have 3 of the same coin! To make thing worse.... the coin is still on my "need to buy list"!! Have some coins on the shreadsheet inventory that you can't find? Have a couple of coins "appear" that you don't remember buying... can't find any paperwork on.... have no idea where they came from.

Coin accounting sucks! image

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you ever forgot you bought a coin and bought another one just like it? >>

All the time. It seems that as soon as I buy a 1964 Kennedy proof, I forget and buy another.image

Russ, NCNE
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I keep having the same problem with my Frankies..... I mean, how many 58d's do I really need?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is exactly why I got some collection software! (That, and so I can go look at them without having to haul them all out...).
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    I bought two identically graded same year coins on the same day at two separate auctions. I looked at the coins in advance and submitted my bids. I thought I would get neither; got bothimage
    Trime
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the same dam Barber half, three times, in the same condition. After that, I gave up trying to remember and started using a note book. Now I only duplicate purchases occationallyimage needless to say, the notebook only works if you use it religiously - which I don't always do.
  • Spooly, I probably don't have quite the inventory that you do, so I really don't have that same problem of buying duplicates (my photographic memory kicks in before I buy a duplicate coin). My problem is I have bought so many new coins since my last update to my spreadsheet, that I don't have the energy (or time) to put in the new acquisitions! I also have not even really put them away properly, as they are just laying on my computer desk and my dresser drawers and other places. I guess I just need to break down and stop being so lazy and just DO IT! The other problem is I have a sneaky suspicion that my inventory list may not be quite as accurate as it should be because of the buy them and NOT put them on the spreadsheet policy.

What a pain in the arse!

Maybe the best thing would be to start all over and verify each page of inventory as I go through each storage box. Time consuming, yes.....but peace of mind may have to come into play here.imageimage
    "LIVE FOR TODAY, BECAUSE THERE MAY BE NO TOMORROW!"- DEANE

• Lucy,

It just ain't natural for a woman to have more than two 58d's! Then, again... maybe ANY woman with 58d's ain't so natural, either.... image

Edit:
    I just re-read the thread.... Uh... eh... I guess we're supposed to be talking about coins here....

Sorry! image
    NMFB ™

• SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Trime, oh... yes the old double auction trick.... I have done that a couple of times! image

Here is one I am embarrassed to tell! Listed a coin on E-bay because I didn't like it..... 4 days later I am searching E-bay and found my own auction (Hey I need one of those!)..... got to the "confirm bid" screen before I realized I was the seller!!! image

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Coin accounting sucks!

Ooh, ooh, a new market for me to get into after tax season is over. image
    Keith ™

• TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Spooly,
    I love it!
    Bought your own coin (almost) Was it a bargain or overpriced?
    Trime
    Overpriced with a bad scan! image

Spooly did the seller have a crappy return policy?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    Good return policy! Rip off shipping charge! image

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the honorable thing and Neg yourself, Spooly! image

<< <i>Do the honorable thing and Neg yourself, Spooly! >>

What a great start to a Saturday morning!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Spooly that was funny!image mike
  • MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

<< <i>got to the "confirm bid" screen before I realized I was the seller!! >>

Now THAT's funny though I bet it's not first. With that maybe you can now get Carol to change your title to Dopey?
  • GPGP Posts: 186
    hehe I have four 1881-O's and only realized it as I was about to buy another! On the same idea, I have downloaded stuff from myself in p2p programs before. image
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Spooly, sounds like the early onset of nusmistheimers disease. I have a couple dozen 16-S mercs, everytime I think about selling one, I forget.image
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Spooly
    I don't think any of us hasn't done that.I know I have more than once.imageimageimage
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
    Say, whatever happened to Russies Kennedy Registry set auction. I bet he himself sniped it with 2 seconds on the clock!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried to buy your own coin....ROFLMAO !! I thought only Fish Heads did that. image

Ken
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I know I have duplicated coins. I have a list--I just don't look at it. I did pick up multiples on a few items on e-bay on the same day. LOL--The mind must be going!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you ever forgot you bought a coin and bought another one just like it? >>

Yeah, all the time. I've got 3 1878 IHCs (AU-55, AU-58, MS-62) all because I read a Rick Snow article on how hard they were to find. I remember the article almost word for word - but not that I bought the "same coin" three times.

Same with 1897 Snow-1 "one in the neck" Indian cent, 1858/7 Flying eagle cent and some other crazy stuff. Once I had 4 1869 XF/AU IHCs and didn't know it. Scary - I guess senility "creeps" up on you.

Anybody got a 1864-L IHC in AU available? Just read an article about them being hot.image
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I want a coin for my Mercury dime set, I usually buy 3 or 4 of the same date and keep the best one. When I upgraded my Micro S, I ended up buying 4, one off Ebay, one off these boards and two at the shows. I keep the best, but I think I'm possessed when I buy coins!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • I once took a handwritten want list to a show and bought a P mint I already had instead of a D mint I needed because I couldn't read my own handwriting! Since then I keep my want lists in Excel and print one out before I go to a show.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com

• << <i>Have you ever forgot you bought a coin and bought another one just like it? >>

Yes. On a couple of occasions I have purchased the same coin twice at one show without realizing it..
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭
    I don't buy duplicates, triplicates etc., I just start a second, third etc. set. image

Joe.
  • I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has accidentally bought the same coin twice. My mistakes most often happen when I put together my want/have lists. I'll think I'm looking at a "want" list and it will really be my "have" list. Most often happens when I've got the series 50% complete.

Go well.
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    It seems that collectors like to pay twice. It's happened to me 4 times in the last 5 months.
  • I've bid and/or purchased the same coin twice quite a few times just because the only thing I'm thinking when I'm looking at the coin is "oooooooh" image The other bad habit I have is getting on ebay after coming home from the bars/clubs. Bad, bad, bad...apparently, when I'm drunk, I seem to think I have all the money in the world, and have BIN'd coin after coin before... Bad habit imageimage

• Here are quick numismatic stupidity "snipets" that I have heard OTHER people do:
    1. vigorously shake non-see-through coin tubes to determine that there truly are MS coins inside
    2. open 2x2's and have the jagged staple points stop the coin's progress out of the 2x2 (usually on the high points on the obverse
    3. drop coins in the top end of a paper coin roll, only to find that there is another side, open and re-discover gravity, at which point, coins are placed in non-see-through coin tube (see #1)
    4. try to buy coins for profit, retirement and/or other financial gains

Glad I can learn from OTHERS ... imageimage
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    what happened to me recently (Thanksgivingday) while Sitting in the throne room looking over a Morgan Dollar and taking care of business the Morgan slipped out of my hand and You fill in the blanks as to where it went_______________________________________________________________________.

PS needless to say it is now a cleaned coin. imageimageimage

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
    MrKelso, ROTFLMAO! I feel better now.... it's not just me that does stupid stuff! image

• MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>MrKelso, ROTFLMAO! I feel better now.... it's not just me that does stupid stuff! image >>

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Let's see...stupid coin things I've done.....

1. Buying "BU" dollars from big mail-order houses...and not being educated enough to send them back...
    2. Multiple open auction bids on the same coin, or bidding on a coin I already have in better shape...and sweating out someone outbidding me...praying for a sniper...
    3. Several cases of "buyers remorse"...why did I buy THAT ???
  • Mr.Kelso,
    Let us know if that puppy tones up unusual at all, you might have discovered the "ultimate" coin-doctoring technique!
    Joe

<< <i>Mr.Kelso,
    Let us know if that puppy tones up unusual at all, you might have discovered the "ultimate" coin-doctoring technique!
    Joe >>

You guys are killing me! image

Skid mark toning! image

• shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I hate it when I buy a nice 1870-S seated dollar or 1885 trade dollar and remember that I already have two of each at home. image

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to build new sets around them. image
    Obscurum per obscurius

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file