Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

On ebay - 2001 Clad KY PR70 DCAM PCGS

Here it is - Finally and Statehood Quarter in PR70 DCAM PCGS

Here is the ebay link:

2001 Clad KY PR70 DCAM PCGS

No Reserve bidding starts at $1000.00 and there is a bid.

Todd
Todd Abbey

Comments

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I've got 7 more years to make my ownimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    This is major: this is solid evidence that "70's" are back!
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is major: this is solid evidence that "70's" are back! >>

What will this do to the value of the others? Hopefully bring them in line with reality.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Difficult to say. We will have to let the market tell us.

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • Options
    Todd,
    First of all, nice coin.
    PCGS pop report shows 28 Statehood Quarters in PR70DCAM.
    Coincidentally already showing zero to Kentucky, what means that isn't updated.
    More interesting is the fact of just 8 coins is included in the registry sets (Sets # 1 and 2). Where are the others?
    I didn't remember saw some in EBay before.
    You, as a strong dealer of Proofs saw others before?

Edson
  • Options
    Cameo CC only knows of a few others. They are in collections of private collectors that do not list their coin in the PCGS registry. Mitch Spivack probably knows more of where the others are than we do. Hope this helps.

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    only time will tell...ive been waiting to see at least one of the 29...looks like the 40 mitch and david put in my current set.

only time image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    and its funny cause I was gonna start a thread asking if a few of those 40 would upgrade...very few are clearly 70 coins...

doubt that also

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill, Todd: As far as I know, a couple collectors have wonderful collections of PR70DCAM PCGS state quarters. At least -1- of these collections is entirely unregistered.

I will not comment on the PR70DCAM state quarter market while an important auction is in progress for the latest PR70 coin and I congratulate Todd for "making" the newest PR70! image

IMHO, there is little chance of upgrading an existing PR69DCAM coin into a PR70DCAM. First, the obvious reason that through the submission of the coin, the grading of the coin, the sealing of the coin, the unsealing of the coin, the regrading of the coin, the resealing of the coin and the finalizing of the coin, the chances of effecting the "perfect" surfaces goes WAY, WAY up. Frankly, at this point, I am not even wasting my time to even try. However, I do believe there will be a market for the exceptional quality PR9DCAM coins in the years ahead, especially those coins with "monster" deep cameos. Try putting a set of "monster" deep cameos together for say 2000 or 2001 clad state quarters!! image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mitchell u know I will purchase any statehood proof monster from you, be 69 or 70.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    **I will not comment on the PR70DCAM state quarter market while an important auction is in progress for the latest PR70 coin ***

Mitch,

could we have your comments now????

would love to see what you have to say.

rich
    A active collector of Modern Proof graded coins. Highligted by my Modern registry sets. (The Lewis' Collections).
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Mitch,

could we have your comments now????

would love to see what you have to say.

rich "

Rich: First, I really need to see the quality of some of the most recently graded couple dozen PR70 state quarters to get a feel for what has happened these past 30 days. Understand, a 2001 Kentucky clad quarter is a VERY TOUGH coin to obtain with "true" DCAM+ surfaces. I don't mean the DCAM that is on 98%+ of the PR69DCAM coins in holders - I mean the DCAM+++ that is highly elusive on this clad proof. Are the PR70DCAM coins the super DCAM+ specimens, or simply "perfect surface" coins with the mild DCAM typical for this state? This is very important to determine before assessing the situation. I hope to be able to see some of the freshly graded PR70 coins in the near future.

Second, it made no sense to me that before this month, PCGS had graded roughly 10,000 2002 dated State quarter proofs without a single PR70. No sense whatsoever. I believe the mint produces too many "perfect" proof state quarters for this to have happened. So, the fact PCGS finally graded between 1%-2% of the coins submitted in the past 30 days PR70 only corrects a problem as far as I am concerned and does not create one (anyone disagree with this comment?) I am a bit surprised this state quarter on ebay only fetched $1100. 60 days ago, I suspect the coin would have commanded multiples of that price. The fact that many collectors and ebayers may have been reading these boards over the past month may have likely contributed to the relatively "low" price on this "first to market" coin. I am a bit surprised a few non-forum members didn't show up to battle it out as is often the case.

Third, on balance, I think it is a good idea that PCGS has decided to use the entire grading scale again. And, this will give collectors an opportunity to build a "perfect" state quarter proof set, even if the collectors chose to build it themselves through personal submissions (and not by paying dealers for the coins). I have no doubt a complete collection of PCGS-PR70DCAM state quarters will be a highly desireable collection to pursue. Do not think for a minute that a DEL or PA silver state quarter in PCGS-PR70DCAM will be an easy coin to "make" for example. And, think about it, if that 1999 silver set ever reaches the $200/set mark and someone actually got lucky and "made" a DEL in PR70DCAM from a submission batch of say 100 sets, understand that the cost of producing that (or those) PR70's will be quite high (nearly $25,000 out of pocket in this example). A dealer or collector will still need to determine if $25,000 committed to state quarter proofs (in my example) and the work associated with selling off hundreds and hundreds of undergrade coins received in the quest for the PR70 will result in as good a return as say spending the same $25,000 buying up late date MS67 Wheat cents or MS66 Liberty Nickels, if you see what I mean.

So, overall, the $1100 price realized on that state quarter certainly does not have me running out to find thousands of proof sets to send into PCGS next week and it does show that collectors will likely approach the purchase of PR70 state quarters very cautiously over the next several months. If prices were to drop significantly lower than this first price realized, I would not be surprised to see many additional collectors entering the market with an eye towards building an entire collection of PR70 coins. On the other hand, if prices were to sharply drop as stated, the massive submissions to PCGS that resulted in these couple dozen PR70's being made this month might also slow creating less product for the market.

I will be very interested to see what happens into early next year. Rich and others - what do you guys think? image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch:

Excellent analysis. Curiously, I agree with all the points you made. Am looking forward to buying two type pieces in 70DCAM, but will wait to see if prices drop below current levels.

Greg
  • Options
    Mitch,

Good thoughts, But really how many dealers out there can submit very high quanities of proof sets
    and get these perfect coins. for one they will shoot themselves in the foot with all the 69's they
    will get back... not to many 69's selling lately. Plus they are stuck with the grading fee's. I think
    this may be a one time shot. Or is pcgs trying to get more business by lacking in standards.
    How many people will crack open there PQ 69's and re-submit because of this. ???

Rick
    A active collector of Modern Proof graded coins. Highligted by my Modern registry sets. (The Lewis' Collections).
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone is about to lose a bunch of money. Guess that is what happens when you are a little time behind the news.

Edited to add: Pop 5 in a week! (up from pop 0) Hope the stooge was no one on this board.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    After reading Mitch's comments (Excellent analysis, BTW)...

I've got (10) 1999 Silver proof sets that have never seen the light of day. Anybody feel lucky?