Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin preservation dilemma.

I hope this doesn't sound too "retentive", but here is my situation.

I have time after time bought mint and proof sets, sometimes looking for a particular coin and sometimes just for the heck of it. Throughout these acquisitions, I have found many times, that the Lincoln primarily, but sometimes the Jeffersons have developed various problems, be it spotting or discoloration.

My dilemma is, I presently have some sets where the Lincoln is beautifully preserved state of red without any spotting. It breaks my heart that should I leave them in these cello packs, they will probably end up like so many of the spotted or discolored ones I've often encountered viewing the sets.

I can't be the lone stranger, preserving every red unspotted Lincoln I encounter, but I don't want to leave them to their own fate. I don't want to cut up the sets (I'm not a Lincoln collector per se and I don't want to necessarily destroy every mint or proof set I get my hands on either). what is one to do?

Don't say "Just don't buy 'em!" Years from now there will be even less of both the sets and sets with unmarred coins.

I suppose there may be no solution to resolve both issues; I'm not hung up on original mint packaging, but I know many collectors are, and I want to consider them was well as my fellow collectors who prefer copper. What is the prevailing sentiment?
Gilbert

Comments

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I have done both, cut them up to perserve them and also left them in the cello. I don't know if there is a correct answer.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I understand how you feel. I have this pull towards keeping things in their original packaging as well as preservation. I think in this case, though, it's OK to break it up and preserve it. I wonder if intercept will produce a mint/proof set size holder? Sure would be nice. If you can get the whole set into a vacuum sealed environment, it'll accomplish much the same thing.
  • SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    That is easy..... a "well preserved" cherry coin is worth alot more than a original mint packed "dog".

Save the coin.... screw the original packaging. IMHO
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file