Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Satin Proof 21 Toned Peace

I held/saw a 21 Satin Proof Peace, that was toned, believe it or not, yesterday. Unbelievable coin. I just wish I had an extra $12,000 laying around to pick up that coin. I think there's only a dozen or so of those coins in existence, and this one's probably the only toned example.

Still can't believe this dealer brought to a local show. It's not as though someone is going there with that kinda of money, but who knows.

Anyone else have a proof peace dollar?

Michael

MW Fattorosi Collection

Comments

• Options
    What I can't believe is that a coin that rare is only going for $12,000.

What was the grade?
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I can't remember since I knew I couldn't afford it, I didn't spend much time looking @ the slab. Pretty coin though, steelish gray with nice luster and bright blue/grey rim toning on the reverse. One of the nicest struck peace dollars I had ever seen.

Michael

MW Fattorosi Collection
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Michael,

I liked David Hall's story about that coin the other night.

Auction story...At the 1978 ANA convention the auction had a 1921 Peace dollar described as "MS60 sharply struck, but cleaned." John Dannreuther and I "split" the coin, paying $225. Every major buyer saw the coin and didn't catch what we did. Kevin Lipton was the underbidder at $210.
    After we bought the coin we took it to Walter Breen and got a letter of authenticity for it which stated it was a proof.

I'd love one for $225.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    I'll tell ya, it's not easy to tell the proofs from the MS coins. I couldn't believe what I was looking at when I saw it. It didn't look proof. I'm not surprised a dealer missed it in Hall's story. But it is one of the best struck 21 Peace dollars. I guess if you know what your looking for it easy to tell.

I wonder if there are any other proof 21s in MS holders or raw that no one realizes are proof?

MIchael

MW Fattorosi Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file