Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Red Flags in the Jefferson Series....Watch Out

The Jefferson Series (not to be confused with the World Series) has more flags than a Raiders Game....Whats going on over there? Corso and BNE are definately going to the league championships but the playoff pictures looks tough. TJA and MTH are head to head looking over their shoulder at Grant (Grant could be the Cinderella story of the year). Wolforth could be a walk-on and ruin everyones playoff plans but we hear he's playing in a different league. Jim Claxton is polishing off a few rough spots, much improvement this year. Ludlow, well Ludlow is not letting any grass grow under his feet....we could have our MVP here. Gotta love that LS Brown and Jeff's sets...I see first round draft picks next year. Oh...and Nickel Triumph...He's just happy to watch the playoffs from the front of his fire place.

Basic Circ. Set....Now here is a busy page. Corso still has and deserves his super bowl ring but Walser has a head of steam. Check out the Nevadaman's collection...Hey...What part of Nevada are you from. Haven't heard much from Solid...I think he is trying to select a few more draft picks. Chewbacca has the number one no-step set...Is he on the boards? Vam44, Boston Bob, Clackmass....All you guys...let me on the front page....give it a rest.

Happy Holidays and enjoy your coins....
NICKEL TRIUMPH...

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GQ: I am, hopefully, ironing out, the remaining few loose ends with PCGS to have the incredible unregistered MS Jefferson nickel collection exhibit right next to the Corso set early next year (perhaps in Long Beach). As has been mentioned before, the unregistered set contains ALL 5 MS68/68FS Jeffersons ever slabbed by PCGS in the 1938-1964 series, as well as the 1954(s) nickel in MS67FS and a host of other fabulous pop 1, 2 and 3 coins. The set goes from 1938-2002 and I believe BJ is making arrangements now to showcase the Jeffersons as a complete collection from 1938-2002. I have seen nearly every coin in this unregistered collection and all I can say is that it is a humbling experience and, IMHO, ranks up there with some of the greatest sets of coins ever assembled in any series of numismatics. image Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    It’s amazing all the new Jefferson collectors that have registered their sets over the past few months. Upgrading has been difficult recently. I’m guessing interest in Jeffersons will increase due to the potential design changes in 2003 and many new sets will be registered.

There’s still 5 weeks left in the regular football season before the playoffs and superbowl. I’m sure there will be some surprises before the season is over.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Agreed, interest in Jeffs is definitely picking up! BNE, Frank and Carl still definitely the kings o' the hill, though. If you are looking for a sleeper in the early proofs (absent Honeycutt, of course), check out CGM III. I have not done the math, but if he ever upgrades his 1938-42 Ty. 2, all in 65, to 67, look out! There indeed seem to be a lot of new entrants in both early, modern and the big set. I think Jeffs are still a good buy, although prices are on the rise amid the demand. I have been searching out some raws and some pre-1995 (and pre-CAM/DCAM designation) green insert slabs and hope to have a few upgrades when grades come back. Frank is right that upgrades are increasingly hard to come by. Oh well, all Jeff collectors, onward and upward!
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    The thing that I think is the scariest is that Honeycutt is destined to get knocked off the front page of early proofs soon, if this keeps up!image

The competition is pouring it on!!image
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    I love to see interest in Jeffersons! I purchase a few proof Jeffs looking for a same grade upgrade. It doesn't look like I'll gain any ground, unless the day comes that my '50 cam goes DCAM. Keep it up gang!
  • Options

<< <i>TJA and MTH are head to head looking over their shoulder at Grant (Grant could be the Cinderella story of the year). >>

image Where's my other shoe dammit! Anybody know where I can find a '39 or '41 in PR67??? No Cinderella story for me w/o those two. I have found a single upgrade but it's not much of an upgrade so I haven't snagged it yet - maybe this week. Been too busy buying beautiful toned Jeffs (thank you Morganluver and Mike Billy!) since I can't find any registry stuff! image As RGL mentioned that CGMIII set is something else - awfully deceptive with where it is positioned! Hey is anybody ever going to post a toned early Jeff proof set?
    ahhhh....... SODO MELVIN?????
  • Options
    Mitch, does this mystery set also contain the beautiful 42 proof in pc69? For those that want to see a drop dead coin, here is a link to Rick T's website:
    R&I
  • Options
    Wondercoin: If you check the pop report, I think you will see there are 6, not 5 MS 68s in the 1938-64 series.

1938 MS68 (not full steps)

1941-D MS68 Full Steps

Two 1943-Ds in MS68 Full Steps

A 1944-D graded MS68 Full Steps

and a 1945-D in MS68 Full Steps
    Looking for great US-Philippine coins, the funnest and probably hardest US sets to complete. I collect varieties and neat error coins as well as the regular business strikes and proofs.
  • Options
    Merysu: I passed on the 1942 nickel in PCGS-PR69.

USPI: Thanks for the "heads up" on the latest MS68 Jefferson being graded. I picked up a sensational 1945(d) Jefferson in NGC-MS68 at auction last month (scan is on my site). Perhaps there may have been (2) neat 45(d) Jeffersons and one made it into the PCGS-MS68FS holder? It will be interesting to see if the coin appears in a Registry set or whether it is placed by the owner in an auction, or offered privately.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    what makes me laugh is my set remains unregisterd at the moment and has QUITE a few coins that will
    make heads spin...including a few old corso coins.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    "a few old corso coins"

Bill: Come on, Frank is not that old image

Hey, scan your favorite coin and show us all image Wondercoin
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    sorry, didnt mean Frank was old, just that I have what he let get away. None of
    which will be higher than whats in his set. Actually, just the pr68cam 71-no s is his...
    rest came from interesting places image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Bill:

I'm glad you like one of my "old" coins. image

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)