Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Latest Letters to the Editor in Coinworld

So what does everyone think of Diane Hager's rant about the PNG survey? Also how hardly any of the dealers deal with Acugrade so how can they can they rate Accugrade.
Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    she sounds like a little girl crying becuase no one will play with her.

poor baby

If she would put out a quality product then maybe people would take her seriously.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Her objections to the survey boil down to two issues.

(1) Since 65% of the PNG/ICTA members didn't return their surveys (she calls it "refused to be part of this sham survey"), she feels it wasn't representative of the PNG/ICTA membership.

Using her numbers, that means 35% DID respond. That's a very high number of respondents for a mail survey, which gives a lot of credibility to the results. And for her to assume those who didn't respond hold vastly different opinions seems to be quite a stretch.

(2) She claims that only four of the 221 PNG members have dealt with ACG in the last two years, and thus she questions whether those who answered the survey were really knowledgable, or were responding as to what they thought PNG wanted them to say.

This conveniently overlooks the fact that it's not necessary to have jumped off a bridge yourself to know it will probably be harmful to your health. It seems reasonable to assume that PNG dealers as a group attend quite a few shows and have seen coins in all types of slabs. I believe they are qualified to render an opinion whether or not they personally paid to have the coin slabbed.

On a side note, did you notice the ACG ad in this week's CW now says "Not one major complaint in Coin World for 4 years"? I wonder what happened to get them to change the ad copy from "Not one major complaint in 18 years."

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Also seems like she has lowered her prices AGAIN. Something like $3.95 for 100 coins for 60 days.

What a bargain!

I am putting together my crappiest liberty nickels (ag-g) and telling them I want them as ms65's image
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I don't know who she thinks she is fooling. Maybe 1% of the newbie collectors?

I fully beleive the only people sending coins to ACG know exactly what ACG is like--and send coins there because of it! The heavy duty sellers want those wrong grades. Can you imagine anyone finding a nice raw coin for their personal collection, and sending it to ACG to authenticate/grade/put it in a protective holder?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Business tirades are rarely useful. They'd better off using a different strategy. The survey was not scientific, it was an opinion poll. And the opinion is that ACG ain't good. And as someone said, I don't have to get shot in the lef to know I don't want it. Same with ACG slabs...
  • Options
    sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    could someone scan and post the letter?
  • Options
    I saw an ad in CoinWorld from ICG. They claimed they were voted #1, just slightly edging out PCGS. The survey was done without their prior knowledge on the eBay forum. Now there is a scientific survey for you...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file