Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first coin pic on the forum!

Well folks, it took me 2 hours working with my ISP (Roadrunner) to get the FTP figured out to allow me to post pics. I've been using UNIX commands and all kinds of whacky stuff. But ultimately... success!

Here is my favorite coin. $10 Indian in PCGS MS63 but I think it looks better. The hit that pulled it down to 63 is buried in the feathers.

Hang on everyone - I'm about to become a picture posting maniac!

Edited to add: Based on threads from earlier today, I want to attribute credit for the image to Heritage Rare Coins. I bought this coin in one of their Internet auctions.
Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
Current focus 1855 date type set

Comments

• Options
    Wow great picture!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Nice image
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    REALLY nice picture! Great job!
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's a pain to get started, but it was well worth the effort. I love the pic.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Here, Blade, I made you something.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    The image is better than 98% of those on the web. The coin is gorgeous and one of my all-time favorite obverse designs. What camera you using?
  • Options
    i,ve always liked that design and you captured a very nice pic of one
  • Options
    That's a great looking Indian.

Frank
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Great photography job Heritage image I think they use a scanner though.
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Folks,
    I can only take credit for figuring out how to post this pic. I didn't take it - Heritage did! I updated my original post to give them credit. It is my coin, though. It does have a real pretty light yellow luster that doesn't show on the pic.

I'm just psyched because for the past 8 months I've been on the forum, I have been jealous that I can't post my own pics... and now I can!

Russ - Nice edit! I'll be saving the new combo pic. I've got photoshop, but other than taking the red-eye out of pictures, I have yet to master 99% of what it can do.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Tom -- The first half year I owned Photoshop all I did was stare at the 100s of buttons and levers. User friendly it isn't, but it grows on you. PM me if you need any pointers about the cropping and marquee tool. In Photoshop (not ImageReady) the marquee tool has an eliptical option that allows you to remove the slab completely from the image. Gold looks good with a black background so I put this together for you.

• Options
    Blade, congratulations on learning to post pics. Good show.

Wow - that is a nice coin. I need to buy one of those one day. I think that might be right up there with the St. Gaudens... I have to say that I like it even more than my dad's incuse Indian 2 1/2.

Very cool! Keep it up!
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Paul,
    I can't wait o go at this 100%. I have a high end 3 megapixel digital camera and for XMAS am getting a bunch of close-up lenses. I did stretch the truth a bit and have messed with a few things in Photoshop like the cropping, filters, etc. But that is an awesome tip with the black background. It makes the gold really jump off the screen. I've been focusing on gold type and it will look great to have consistent lighting with that black background. Maybe I'll start a site (IHCs are already covered! image )
    Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file