Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For Those That Knock $25 State Quarter Bags

I collect 2 or 3 of thse bags everytime a new coin comes out. I have been doing this for a couple of years now and someone on this board commented that all you basically get is a "worthless bag of banged up quarters." Well I disagree and here's why...just for the hell of it I opened one up and the quarters were beauties. I looked some of them over under a magnifying glass and they looked GREAT. Some of them even had a shiny cameo appearance also.

Comments

• Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I collect 2 or 3 of thse bags everytime a new coin comes out. I have been doing this for a couple of years now and someone on this board commented that all you basically get is a "worthless bag of banged up quarters." Well I disagree and here's why...just for the hell of it I opened one up and the quarters were beauties. I looked some of them over under a magnifying glass and they looked GREAT. Some of them even had a shiny cameo appearance also. >>

Oh no you opened a bag up? are you going to leave them in the bag or roll them now that you opened the bag? did you look for any weirdness errors and what nots?

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    MrKelso,

I found a few SIGNIFICANT error coins in there. I am sure you will read about them in coin magazines in the near future.
  • Options
    If you bought them from the mint you didn't risk much, only ten dollars. But if you had bought the on the secondary market, especially in the early years and paid several hundred dollars for that bag would you have risked opening it? Remember, if you aren't lucky enough to get a "Spectacular error" or if the coins did have marks your several hndred dollar purchase is now worth $25. The odds are greatly against you, do you still open it? Or do we just buy and sell unopened canvas bags based on what MIGHT be in there? (Historical trivia, during the Dutch tulip bulb mania a bulb that was claimed to be able to produce a rare black tulip traded multiple times and reached over 25,000 gulders. When someone finally got brave enough to plant it, you have to eventually or the bulb dries out and dies, it produced regular flowers. Same principle, you never know what is really inside until you open it and then if it isn't what you hoped it's too late.)
  • Options
    I bought them almost from the beginning (missed delaware) because I thought
    they were neat and the premium was only 4 or 5 dollars. When the hype hit I
    bought and sold them. The $10 premium on them now is crazy but I can't quite
    stop buying them (it's tough to be a completist).

I don't delude myself into thinking they continue to be a good investment though.
    I'm just glad I got some money out of them. If they price crashed anymore it wouldn't
    bother me.

-Khayse
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought them from the start and stopped after the MD issue. Sold all of my DE mini-bags when they were at $600.00 (hey...I'm not greedy). They crashed soon after. I haven't looked to see what they're going for now.

But who are we to judge...collect what you enjoy and you'll always be happy! image

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    i have three untouched bags, in my opinion only ones
    worth having...thats 2 25 dollar bags of OHIO P and 1 250 dollar OHIO P

not about to open those suckers.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I have been buying them from the US Mint on a regular basis so there is not much risk here for me. The one I opened was NC and I had multiple bags. I was curious what the average coin condition was and I was very pleased
  • Options
    Got any (even one) pics of your SIGNIFICANT errors?
    Mark
  • Options

<< <i>I have been buying them from the US Mint on a regular basis so there is not much risk here for me. The one I opened was NC and I had multiple bags. I was curious what the average coin condition was and I was very pleased >>

You knowwhat? A seal bag of coins is like an unplayed with toy. I could never collect sealed bags as i would be so tempted to cut them suckers open and look for error's
    Have fun image

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got any (even one) pics of your SIGNIFICANT errors? >>

Yes, please.image

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    hughesm1,

I was just kidding as MrKelso's post to me seemed a little obnoxious. image
  • Options

<< <i>hughesm1,

I was just kidding as MrKelso's post to me seemed a little obnoxious. image >>

I'm Sorry Me Obnoxious? Never!! I was happy that you opened up that bag, Thats what i would have done. image

• Options
    I bought bags in 1999 and 2000 to sell on Ebay during the big frenzy. I did open one of the bags I had left from 2000 (after the prices went in the dumper) just to see what the quality might be and to look for errors. I thought the quality was ok. I didn't find any coins that would have been super high grade slab candidates but they weren't all banged up MS60's either.

Of course, this bag came from the mint and was not one that had changed hands (and been shipped) multiple times on Ebay so the coins didn't get that much abuse before I opened it up.

As far as errors, Didn't even find a grease filled die or die crack, let alone anything major, in the bag I opened. It was kind of fun opening it up and searching it but truthfully, I didn't buy any others to do that with.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file