Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

#2 set of Buffalo nickels is up for auction by B&M.

A magnificent set too, quite a few beasts of coins, including a 1916/16 in AU55, an 1918/17 in MS63, an 18-S and 19-S in MS65, a 26-D in MS66, and a 26-S in MS65.

Be sad to see such a nice set go.

Comments

• Options
    what would this set sell for?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what would this set sell for? >>

How's that saying go again? "If you have to ask. . . "

peacockcoins

• Options
    << what would this set sell for? >>

I venture to guess over $100. image
  • Options
    Well, the last 16/16 in AU55 from Heritage's auctions fetched $26,450

The 26-D is a $4500 coin in MS65, probably double that in MS66.

A 26-S in MS64 sold for $17,250 earlier this year. I'd expect it to hit at least $25,000.
  • Options
    In reponse to what the set will sell for, my guess is $700k.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "A 26-S in MS64 sold for $17,250 earlier this year. I'd expect it to hit at least $25,000."

A set like this brings out "diehard" collectors. I would think a nice gem 26(s) would bring closer to $75k than $25k!! Remind me after the auction if I was right or wrong. And, hoepfully, for the consignor's sake, the coins go for "moon money". But, here again, this is a perfect example of the "tiny" "one point jump" in classic coins making the "tiny" 1 point jump in modern coins/prices look like a game of tiddly-winks image Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny, I've got a 1926-S Buffalo PCGS graded closing on eBay right about now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11954&item=803320875

Of course, the GRADE is a little different than the $25,000.00+ coin... image

peacockcoins

• Options
    some super coins to be sure..would be a great start or someone or a few nice rare coins if not goin for the set.
    bruce scher
  • Options
    caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    I know I'll be watching this auction, and maybe pick up a coin or two.image
    Thanks for the heads up.
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.