Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Off Topic- Problems with USPS and other delivery services?

Gentlemen- Forgive me for placing this topic here, since this might not be the appropriate place for it, but I just needed to vent.

Has anyone else had problems lately with our lovely Postal Service, UPS, FedEx, or any other delivery carrier in the past few months with them "losing" your cards. I receive a fair amount of cards weekly, but I'm sure there are others of you out there who do MUCH more business than I do. A few months back, I bought a BEAUTIFUL 1967 AL Batting Leaders PSA 9 from Skylaneflyer (Joel G.), which the Post Office somehow managed to lose. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased! Joel did all the leg work for me, and gave me my refund even before filling out the insurance claim paperwork (thanks again Joel, you're a class act). However, I would have much rather had the card than the money (duh, otherwise why would I have bought it). This week, the Post Office has managed to "misplace" a 1973 Tony Perez PSA 9 (not too many of these around).

The thing that ticks me off is that I can't even manage to get an apology from them. It's not like they can just give me my money back and expect everything to be fine. It's not like they lost something that can be easily replaced. These are items which will be very difficult to replace (if it's even possible to do so).

Anyway, just wondering what other problems other people have been experiencing. Sorry for venting!

Scott

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Scott:

I haven't had too many problems lately -- everything I've shipped and that has been shipped to me has arrived in a fairly expedious manner. To help alleviate problems -- I ship most of my stuff at the counter of the USPS -- so I have a receipt (also with insurance, usually), as I was at one time having a problem that I believe was an individual taking my mail before it even got postmarked and shipped out....

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    MS- I know that's not the problem. The packages which have been lost have gotten to my Post Office, then disappeared. I got the slips in my mailbox to come to the PO and sign for them, but when I get there, no packages! I know my carrier pretty well, and have a had time believing he would take the packages. Besides, I have all the cert. #'s written down, so that if I ever see those numbers come up for sale, I know I've found my man!
  • Options
    Hi GT,

Someone in your local post office knows you are a vintage graded buyer and they obviously know value if the stuff is coming reg or high insurance value (you can tell by the stamp $$ amount). I would guess it is an inside job if you are getting the slips to pickup the packages and they aren't there. As for the cert #'s, you can crack the card out and send it in to PSA and it should grade the same (they are very consistent). I would talk to the head of the post office in your area and straighten this out. You may want to contact the local authorities if this happens again.

Happy Thanksgiving,
    Mike
    Always looking for 1952 Bowmans and 1953 Johnston Cookies PSA 8's and higher.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I am sure that the Internal Postal Inspectors would love to have the PSA certification numbers on file: as any future transactions of those cards constitute stolen property and ultimately fraud.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

Scott,

I have worked for the Post Office for over twenty years and you have a problem that requires contacting the postal inspectors in your area. If you live in a small or medium sized town,inquire at your Post Office as to where your mail is processed.The postal inspectors are usually located in the larger cities where most mail is distributed. Also contact your local postmaster and make him aware of your contact with the inspectors.It does sound like an inside job to me and the postal inspectors will set up a sting to get this guy if you are persistent(it may take a few phone calls,stay on top of it).Keep us posted!!

Good Luck,
    vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Never had a single USPS problem (knock wood) I've always worried about this problem
    because I live in a small town and the gal at my post office is quite chatty.
    I always make sure to talk about safe deposit boxes, vaults, my gun collection and guard dogs.
    The biggest problem is the guys whom advertise their baseball card collectible company on the return label.
    Lloyd's baseball cards just sent a package like that. Many dealers, like Mike Wheat have learned the hard way to keep it annonymous, PSA is careful about that too. It is probably the biggest step that can be taken to prevent this kind of dissapearing act.
    UPS seems to be very rough on packages in my area since 9/11. I've had 2 that I had to do damage claims on, which sucks big time.
  • Options
    Scott
    Sorry to hear of your plight. I had some problems with the USPS in Nebraska, and generated an inspection by the postal inspectors. They pretty much were worthless, but the problems seemed to stop for a bit.

Otherwise, the only recommedation that can offer is to have the high-value cards sent registered mail (or UPS or FED-X Ground, but they don't deliver to PO Boxes). I know its costly, but the insurance is much less expensive and the USPS has to account for it every step of the eay. I agree that if the card actually makes it to your box and then is taken you have only 2 options left: it's either someone from the post office taking it or someone else has a duplicate key to your box and periodically trolls (or is told that something good is being inserted into the box). I once had theat happen to me with a storage box (duplicate keys will kill you). Demand that they re-key box.
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage