Home Q & A Forum
Options

Follow up to Proposed Explanation Service

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
David Hall:

mnmcoin stated earlier in his thread: 7th ?: Steps for an explanation service:

<< <i>Also, I really second the concept of having an explaination for grades and non-grades. I can also appreciate your lack of knowing excactly how to implement it. Something like this should definitely have some careful thought put into it. Perhaps the best thing to do is not feel that everycoin needs the explaination, but maybe on bodybagged coins, as well as a service that would allow submission of coins that people felt needed an explaination. Something similar to a designation review or really any other service...but instead of grading the coin, the grader would just put into words their thought process. This formalized review sheet could be forwarded to the submitter back with the coin. I feel this would be a huge advantage for PCGS in so many ways, especially marketing wise and in helping to provide knowledge for collectors that would again benefit the coin industry as a whole. >>

I can appreciate that your response was:"Explaning the grades and no-grades is a great idea and something we are discussing very seriously."

My comments follow:

Personally, I believe this should be an OPTIONAL requested service and for an extra fee. Not all coins submitted by dealers and collectors alike are in need of an explanation (such as in the case of an entire roll of coins that was submitted) as to why a certain grade or body bagged was arrived at unless they deemed it important.

For example: If a coin was requested to be graded along with an explanation to the grade or no grade then the fee should be an extra $5 to $10 per coin. Such extra service entails additional time in logging such records and sending additional information back to the submitter and hence must be recouped cost wise. Certainly, an extra $5 to $10 per coin would not be unreasonable. Certainly PCGS will quickly find what fee is reasonable as this would be an "option" and will attempt to maximize customer needs vis a vis return on investment (ROI) of time.

If a submitter receives a coin back that he is not pleased with the outcome of grade or no grade and had failed to request this optional service, I am afraid that the only proper way to protest this is to resubmit the coin once again for grading along with the optional request for written explanation at the normal and or previous price paid and not a special reduced price for requesting written explanations only. Reason? There would otherwise be too many opportunities for submitters to switch coins in the hopes of avoiding a second fee.

Just some of my thoughts.
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments