Home Q & A Forum
Options

4th ?: Modern coin market.

Fourth, I noticed that you seem to be dealing quite a bit in the semi modern coins (1930-1971), what is your impression on this segment in the market. Obviously there are two schools of thought on the subject, one being that they are just a waste and the other that they are not. I personally feel the second one, but I would greatly love to hear if you feel these kinds of coins are hear to stay. Ultimately, I hear that the modern market will fizzle out in various amounts of time...I would like your opinions as well.

morris <><
"Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
TEMECULA, CA 92590
(951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Time marches on and yesterday's change is today's treasures. When I first started collecting (1961), Franklin halves were change. If someone would have told my local coin dealer that a 1952 Washington quarter would one day sell for $8000 he would have died of a heart attack from laughing so hard. In fact, if someone would have said in 1991 that a 1952 Washington quarter would sell for $8000 within 10 years the laughter would have been just as hard.

I do know that a lot of people truly enjoy modern (post-1964 coins.) There is a big demand for these coins and they are fun to collect. I think buyers should use some common sense, but we all need to be aware of the "old timers syndrome" and not judge today's value based on yesterday's feelings. I like modern coins. I don't agree with all the prices, but then I don't agree with all the prices of the more vintage coins.

Is say...vintage snobs be damned...buy what you like!