Home PSA Set Registry Forum

A couple of mistakes and why???

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed PSA has been making many mistakes on the holders of the cards I send in for grading.

Example: about two months ago, I sent in my entire 53 Johnston Cookies set to PSA for grading. All of the cards came back and I could not enter one of them in the registry. I thought, "That was strange"? So I said to myself "Self", let me call up Gayle. It turns out on one of the cards was misspelled. They printed Johnston as Johnson. The serial # came up in he cert verification, but the card would not go into the registry because the company name was spelled wrong. I asked Joe and he said to send the card back to have it reholdered. I asked him, why not just correct it in your computer so the cert # is good with the registry. He said, they cannot do that and it was a no charge to send it back. When I received it back, it came back with the same cert # with the correct spelling on top. This is getting a little long so I will get to my point and question.

The point I am trying to make and the question I am asking all of you with vast knowledge is "Don't they have a database with all of the correct company and card names for every sport and non sport card made since the inception of cards". They are PSA after all?? I just did not understand how they could have a spelling error on 1 of 30+ cards sent in at the same time for the same set. I would think the company names are all computerized, but maybe someone actually types them out. Since there is no such thing and Johnson cookies, I wonder if they do something like this manually. Here is a scan of the card. It is actually scanned in the set registry wrong because I scanned all of them first and thought it would be cool to leave it because the cert # was the same. I just got back a complete set of 1938 W.A. & A.C. Churchman Boxing cards and I have the same problem. On some of them they used periods in the name "W.A. & A.C.". On the majority of them, there were no periods "WA & AC". Of course, it was all of the star cards that came back wrong. I wonder how they make that label. Of course, I should ask them whenever I speak with Joe, but if anyone has any input it would be much appreciated. I think it is done manually. But, this would not make sense.

Have a nice night,
Mike

Always looking for 1952 Bowmans and 1953 Johnston Cookies PSA 8's and higher.

Comments

• murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I've got one even better for you.
    on a complete set run of '53 glendales, all graded together with consecutive cert numbers,
    one lone card is numbered, which is pretty silly for an un-numbered set. I think it is an attempt to create an entirely new secondary market for "error" cards (yeah, psa errors). how else do you make an error like that? None tops the Ty Cobb T206 psa 7 (red background) mislabeled as a Ty Cobb Brand Back (worth around 50 times more......oops). image
  • ive had the same thing happen to me. my beloved #1 1973 '53 topps test issue set had the #1 card satchell paige, come back reading "stachell paige"....