Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

When will the short Lincoln cent set 1934 - 1958 be on the Set Registry ?

Several months ago many of us Lincoln Cent collectors were inquiring about the short set 1934 - 1958.I would think how much fun us penny collectors could have pursuing what could be the MOST popular set in the Lincoln cent series.

Stewart Blay

Comments

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I talked BJ out of making that set. It's a waste of time, she has better things to do. The only new Lincoln Set will be the 1909 to Present. "The Complete Set" No need to chop up everything.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewart,

If you have them all (which I think you do), why would you want the short set? I can see if for those that could never assemble the 1909-1933 portion in nice MS-Red condition.

Just curious.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    On what basis did you talk BJ out of making the 1934 -1958 set ?

You and who else thinks the short set is a waste of time ?

How long have you been collecting Lincoln cents?

BJ - I would like you to comment on what SPOOLY stated in this thread

Stewart
  • Options
    BJ is on vacation until the middle of next week.

• Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see a short set.
    If Walkers get to have a short set,I think the longest running coin ,
    should have a short set.As stated not everyone will have a 1909-1958 MS RD set.

Not that I will ever be in the top 5 for either,but my $.02 image

Kevin
  • Options
    I would like to see the short set too. I think it would be highly competitive and push all the collectors to strive for some of the finest coins. Since it does not include alot of the keys and semi-keys there should be alot of high graded sets.

Rich
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the Lincoln series needs more "high competition!" Condition rarities in the 50's are already through the roof!
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Since everyone else is getting a short set in their favorite series, how about one for Two Cents.

Yeah, it would be fun! 1864 - 1869. The easy ones. It saves you from having to get the tough 1872. Little 6 coin set. Down from 9. image

With a varities short set, you could have 7 coins with the 1864 SM and the 1867 DDO. Man, don't let Greg see this. He'll explode. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought they had her ball and chained to her computer. We are gonna have to talk to David Hall about that. image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Over 50% of the Registry Sets haven't even been weighted yet. Some new sets need to be add to other series first . David is busy because of Rick leaving.... and is not working on the Registry. I don't see the point of wasting time making "another" set of Lincolns. It's not like the Lincoln collectors don't have some good sets already. It's not like their will be anything new with a Lincoln short set....... "Stewart Blay Number one set 1934 - 1958".

• Options
    I do not see how adding a new registry is so hard. It should be just copying a few files and adding a few lines to a database. The weights are already determined (just use the ones for the full set).
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see the shortset 34-58 come into being. It's not like it's a not a industry standard. Its no less a part of the numismatic realm as the merc shortset, or the walker shortset. I was at a show this weekend and I saw two dealers with Lincoln shortsets in dansco albums. Heck, the set is even listed in the greysheet. It's not like were asking for a set from 1948-1973 just because those are the dates we have.

When David Hall had his survey sent out asking collectors their opinions on coin weights, adding shortset, and adding varriety to the sets, I gave a full reply on everything he was asking about. I did my best to make the case for a Lincoln Cent shortset then and was rather disappointed that it wasnt added.

Later I brought up the issue on the message boards. Check out page two for BJ's response. Word must travel fast, because a couple of weeks later I met Andy with Angel Dee's at the TNA show. He mentioned that PCGS had decided to put up the short set on the registry. He seemed pretty pleased with that.

I believe the set was slated to go up in July, then was postponed to a indefinite date in the Fall.

I realize there are a lot of things going on at PCGS right now. I'm a patient person and am more than willing to wait for them to resolve more pressing issues before they get to this one. I wouldnt want to see the Lincoln short set die from PCGS's agenda, however. There are many collectors that want to see it happen.

David

P.S. I may be mistaken, but I beleive Wayne Herndon would have the top shortset at this time...
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    So Stewart are you going to make your short set visible if PCGS makes this new Registry?
  • Options
    I have been waiting for the Mint Set Only set to be put up since August of 2001. I was told it was in the queue right after the SMS sets. How long ago was that???????? image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I too would like to see the short set, there is NO WAY I can compete with the big dawgs of the 1909-1958 set....Please, bring ou tthe short set.

Thank you,
    Ray

(My worthless 2 cents)
  • Options
    Last night in the q & a forum David Hall said there will soon be many more US registry sets. I assume that means there will also be a short Indian Head Cent set or two. Stewart do you think that means a CN set or a common date set or both will appear? The short Lincoln set is an obvious addition and I am surprised it isn't already included.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Stewart
    I agree there ought to be a short set.I'd also like to see your sets made viewable.You have some of the finest there are.I doubt you could improve your sets.I have no doubt you'd be # 1 in the short set also.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options

Merz 2 - You are absolutely correct!!!! I would be lucky to be in the top five in the short set series

THE TOP DAWG IN THE SHORT SET IS THE SET THAT Will have to make an appearance and come out out of hiding

Wayne Herndon May be number two

Spooly - I believe your attitude could be because you sold your short setimage

SOG - you are correct as the coins and the weights are already in place

Stewart
  • Options
    Spooly - I believe your attitude could be because you sold your short set

I did?

Stewart.... I am just pulling your leg! You are so serious! Humor keeps you sane!image

BJ is going to make a Lincoln short set! image

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Good one spoolyimage Stewart shame on you for thinking that BJ would listen to spooly. image
  • Options
    Unseating Wayne, although possible would be extremely difficult in a new short set. He has 3 POP 1 coins, and 2 POP 2 coins. It would be nice to see someone other than Stewart at the top. No offense, Stewart but competing against you is an act of futility. I bet Stewart would still place in the top 5. I'll finally be in the top 20 as long as no other sets show up, but I made every one of my coins in the short set so I am happy being in the top 20. My extras will actually be worth something - got lotsa 54-P's in 65RD if interested.
  • Options

Will the collector with the FINEST and COMPLETE short set register his set so all the collectors like Clakamas see that competing against me is not an act of futility?

There is a collector(unregistered) with ALL the P mints in ms 67 red from 1934 - 1958.........and there is more.I can't compete with him........only Wayne Herndon can compete with him

Stewart

Happy Thanksgivingimage
  • Options
    With all of this talk of the short set I'm getting pumped up to see some of these top sets appear in the registry. David etal should strike while the iron is hot, although I don't know if the Lincolns can get much hotter. Maybe take the heat off of the earlier years. As SOG mentioned it should be a cut and paste......

Rich