Home Q & A Forum
Options

PCGS Price Guides

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Is it in the best interest of the collecting community for a neutral third party grading service such as PCGS to publish a pricing guide for it's own product?

How does PCGS arrive at the prices it publishes in its price guide?

Andy
We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    I personally think pricing information in the coin market is pretty messed up. (And we certainly are far from perfect with our own price guide.)

I believe there's a big hole that needs to be filled. I believe that the current confusing price reporting is not good for the market. I'd love to have someone else do this big task, but I don't see it happening.

As to the "conflict of interest" or whatever the problem with PCGS doing it might be...I believe if you do a good job and the prices are truly "correct:...whatever that may be...the coin buying public and dealer community will be thankful and not be too concerned about who's providing the valuable service.

We currently have prices that are based on our in staff expert (including me) opinions. The pricing guide is far from what it needs to be...for example, where are all the pre-1950 cameo proof prices...we don't have them and neither does anybody else.

We do want to help the coin market with the pricing info hole. We are open to any and all suggestions.