Home Q & A Forum
Options

What does PCGS consider as cleaning?

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
David,

First, thank you for hosting this Q&A session on Tuesdays.

I have read on the message board some people using acetone to remove the green stuff left from coins being holdered in pvc. Now, is removal of pvc with acetone considered cleaning by PCGS, if so, why, and if not, why not. If it is acceptable, in which way is recommended to remove the pvc residue? And lastly, please supply some information on what is considered safe and unsafe conservation/cleaning for coins in which will be allowed through PCGS.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Tony...This is not my area of expertise, but I'll give it a shot. If a coin has been lightly cleaned...i.e. lightly dipped, etc....you often cannot tell the coin has been "cleaned." In this instance the grade of the coin is as it appears.

If a coin has been more obviously cleaned, that cleaning will effect its looks, luster, and eye appeal and the degree of negativity will be taken into consideration while assigning a grade. I know this all sounds pretty subjective, but our graders are actually good at drawing the line on cleaning.

If a coin has been "harshly cleaned," then it's body bag time.

As for acetone, in the words of John Dannreuther...unless we had a trained dog on premise, you can't tell is a coin has been acetoned because the acetone evaporates.

That said, if someone acetoned a copper coin and messed up the original color, then the coin would be downgraded or body bagged, depending on the severity of the discoloration...David