Home PSA Set Registry Forum

My Plaque Came Today For My #1 Set

Hi Everyone,

And the winner is (drum roll). Me !!! My PSA Award came in today's mail and I am very excited that it arrived. So excited, I scanned it. I am not gloating, just excited. Congratulations to all of the winner.

Mike

PSA Congratulations Letter

PSA #1 Plaque
Always looking for 1952 Bowmans and 1953 Johnston Cookies PSA 8's and higher.

Comments

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    MIKE - In reality who cares about their awards or acknowledgement? Your cards are yours and they have the value and offer you the joy in collecting. If PRO grading co. offered a beautiful trophy to their customers, would you jump ship? Of course not!. I have 4 certificates awaiting me, its a nice gesture by PSA, but thats not the reason why I collect and listed my sets. So don't worry about it, and look at your cards, and enjoy them...jay

Edited for spelling mistake!
  • Hi Jay,

I know, but it would have been nice to receive a nice plaque. PSA has always been #1 in my eyes. I just didn't expect a cheesy piece of paper. The problem is with any nice set; you really do not get to enjoy it because they are too valuable and stored in vaults. At least I look at the scans from time to time. Maybe next year they will do something more special. You're right. I bet many other people who finished #2 would have given their left arm for that piece of paper. I would have on my 52 Bowman set. Being #2 sucks. In my eyes, you are the #1 loser coming in 2nd place.

Have a nice night,
    Mike
  • some people will find anything to B;tch about, won't they?!

It would be like the Angels winning their first World Series
    and then complaining because they don't like the color or size
    their statue!

Amazing!

imageimage
  • Mike,

I don't see where being #2 would be anything but great. If someone only collects for the thrill of being number 1 on the registry then I could see it as a disappointment but I think most of us would be collecting whether the registry existed or not. The registry just makes collecting more fun. As far as the certificates go, I thought it was a great gesture by psa. Remember the registry is free - there are no fees. Granted they earn dollars through more cards being graded but it's not like they had to do anything at all. All of this is just a bonus to collecting and I'm grateful for their services they provide.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
    MIKE - Also keep in mind, there were something like 350 winners. Imagine the cost of a nice wood plaque w/ a nameplate w/ engraving and then the shipping fee that PSA would have to fork out. And as a matter of fact, I have 4 awards due to me, I do not have any room in my office to display one. To me it would be a waste to get a nice plaque and store it in the closet. And I don't think the wife would be to thrilled to have it in the living room or our bedroom image ...jay
  • Jay

My wife isn't thrilled having ME in the living room or bedroom, let alone the certificates
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    My God,Felix and Fog Horn are certainly getting around.image

Hey Mikey,I think I'd trade my certificate and my 80T set to have the #2 spot for a 52 Bowman or just about ANY 52 Bowman registered set.That's one hell off an accomplishment award or not!

The certificate is just an added bonus which was completely unexpected on my part.I think the idea of mailing out this little surprise was nice enough and nothing to sneeze at since I was building the set for my own entertainment.

Keep in mind all your school or Job certificates and diplomas are designed the same as this little award from PSA to you.They may mean more to life but whoever issued them didn't have them made with nice wood plaque w/ a nameplate w/ engraving either.

ZARDOZ - Now that was funny!
    But how can a guy with such quick wit and obvious intelligence have any problems with the wife?
    At least you have a desirable female in your basementimage ...jay

Edited for spelling, man I type too fast!
  • Hi Guys,

Wow, I think I hit a sore spot here. Big Kid at Heart actually took this personally. JEFF, GET OVER IT!!!
    I was just voicing my opinion. That's all. At least it created a good topic. I think the gesture by PSA was nice and I realize that there were 350 awards in total. I just thought a plaque would have been nice. I collect for the fun of finishing the set. It is a great challenge. Maybe I was a little too hard on PSA. I was just voicing my opinion like everyone else here does. I guess I can finally get rid of my diploma and use the frame for my PSA certificate. It would go well in my office next to all of my existing plaques from Microsoft, Novell, etc. And yes, I would rather be #2 on my 1952 Bowman set than #1 on any of my other sets. My true dream is to take the top spot in that. Charlie, Watch Out, I'm coming for you. My 52 Bowmans are my ultimate dream. I have been offered ridiculous amounts of money for my set and breakup of it and I will never sell it. I told my wife she has to burry the set with me when I die. She asked me to give her Charlie Merkel's phone # 1st. I guess I have to start changing the safe deposit box locations. Wives, Wives, Wives. You can't live with them and you can't kill them. In all seriousness, thanks for all of the remarks to this post (good or bad). I have always valued the opinion of my PSA graded card collecting peers.

Mike
  • 350 plaques this year in anticipation of $1 million+ grading fees from the #1,2,3 wannabes... A genious move!

Cheers!

Wanted: Mint or graded David Robinson.
    Wanted: Mint or PSA 9 98-99 SP Authentic Basketball inserts MICHAEL, NBA 2K, 1st Class, Sign of the Times.

eBay i.d. Hobby_Inc with 500+ feedbacks
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Mike:

Do you buy at ridiculous prices, too? I have a Burgess PSA 9 and Roberts PSA 9 from that set that I see you need -- and if you offer the types of prices Davalillo gets -- I listen!

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Mike -- Congrats on the great set !! I was a lad in the 1950's and grew up in Wisconsin as a huge Braves' fan. I remember my mom bringing home these cookies and my older brother would generally shove me out of the way so that he could keep the cards. Nice memories and a nice set !
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>In my eyes, you are the #1 loser coming in 2nd place. >>

I didn't realize there were winners and losers in a HOBBY.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
    SET REGISTRY NEWS

ATTENTION ALL AWARD WINNERS:

<< <i>Look for your "Best of the Registry" Certificates in the mail week of November 25th. Plaques will be mailed the first week in December. If you are a Plaque and Certifcate winner, they will be mailed together. Thank you! >>

• Boy, I am still continuing to get ripped up. No more voicing my opinion, it's easier to go with the flow on this message board. Tough Board.

Mike,I'm not ripping on you or anyone.Didn't know that was what it even appeared to look like.

I just noticed on the PSA websight for "Registry news" They are sending plaques in December.So maybe someone is getting a little more than a couple pieces of paper?

• sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    I am glad PSA will issue plaques out and along with the paper certificates. It is what you expect from an industry leader. My high school presented our 2nd varsity letterman awards as an 8X10 engraved plaque. The 3rd and 4th year letterman awards were 5x7 certificates ... very disappointing image . There just is something more substantial about a plaque - more official looking?

Some people collect for the love, the investment, for the thrill of the chase and childhood memories. And some actually are striving for that PSA plaque ... to be #1. A plaque would be a nice presentation piece and display of pride with my collecting efforts.

I think that by going above and beyond what others companies would or will have done with their registry set members strengthens PSA. Demonstrating the same trust, commitment and loyalty that has been displayed by the forum members. I know there is a tremendous expense with the number of sets, but it is a once a year situation for PSA ... a possible lifetime achievement for others. The awards are a feather in the cap at PSA, finishing off a flawless effort with the PSA Set Registry.

PSA has done wonders for the hobby in the last 9-12 months, and are continuing to do do. Thank you PSA for igniting my collecting passion once again.
  • Guys - I hate to tell you this, but PSA is only sending plaques to the following award winners:

Best Collection of the Year

Best Set of the Year

Rookie of the Year - Best New Set in 2002

Vintage Set of the Year (1971 and older) -
    Per Sport (baseball, basketball, football, hockey, and misc.)

Modern Set of the Year (1972 to present) -
    Per Sport (baseball, basketball, football, hockey, and misc.)

Best Player Set of the Year

Best Topps Specialty Set of the Year

Best Overall Specialty Set of the Year

Best Regional Set of the Year

Best Non-sports Set of the Year

I'm sorry Sixdart. First the letterman fiasco, now this.

I rec'd my 4 certificates today. I think it was a nice gesture, but I'm really not that deserving. 3 of the sets, I am the only one listed, so I "win" by default. My biggest set, both in cards, time and dollars spent is the 1965 Topps Baseball where I'm hovering around the 5th place spot. I'm at 80% and thats more of an achievement to have almost 500 different cards in that set in PSA-8 or higher, then my '92 Kellogg's where I am the lone entry. I still think it was great that PSA rewarded the winners, but my real "prize" is showing off the cards in my collection. So to me a wood, metal or lucite plaque is not needed, I'm content w/ the certificates just the way they are...jay
  • Jay, all Kellogg's winners deserve a certificate and a year's supply of Frosted Flakes.
    GEMMINT - Add some cherry Kool-Aid, and you got a deal image ...jay
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Well...

I received my plaque for Modern Set of the Year (1972 to present) - Baseball for my 72 Topps Set.
    The placque is a downright beauty! I'll try and post a picture of it later on. The only thing that I'm going to suggest to BJ for next year is that they use peoples full names first and then their registry name second on the plaques and certificates. This year - if your set was titled "The Pizzaface Collection" on the registry - your plaque reads "This award is presented to - Pizzaface for blah, blah, blah".

So, instead of:

"This award is presented to - FB for 1972 Topps"

it would be neater if it read:

"This award is presented to - Frank Bakka 'FB' for 1972 Topps".

In the grand scheme, it will cost PSA an extra buck or two per plaque next year for the extra letters, but I think that it will make the outcome even nicer than in 2002!

All in all, I got a plaque, a certificate and they created a Set Registry Special (1972 to present) in my honor!!!! Now, if I can get a National "Frank Bakka Day" victory will be complete!!!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Mike,

Don't stop saying what you think. I basically agree with you. One of the reasons I love the registry is the competitiveness of it and if I was only focusing on a small number of sets I would do whatever I could to reach the number one spot. Different people collect for different reasons. The thrill of the chase means nothing to me. I just want to complete the sets in 8 so I can check them off my list and move on to the next ones. The certificates or plaques don't mean anything either--more the knowledge that you have the number one registered set in the world.

Davalillo
  • BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    We had no way of knowing which people wished to remain anonymous or not when it came to the names on the awards. Because our time is so limited, we could not contact every winner. So, to be on the safe side, we used the names of the registered sets. Fortunately, most people are using their own names as their set names. However, next year I will post a message asking any winner to email me if he or she would like a different name to appear on their certificate or plaque. We are proud to present these awards and certainly want all recipients who care about the awards to be happy. Thanks to all for your feedback.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com
  • i just wish they would come up with a certificate for the "worst set" or "set in all psa 1" then i would have a fighting chance of ever getting one of them.
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Thanks BJ!

My guess is that I'll have dropped down the ranks somewhat by next year - but if my 72 set is still in the running for a certificate, I'll email ya!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!