Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1936 Goudey Set Done!

Ok it is not highest condition set but I finally finnished a set!

Here is the link1936 goudey
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comments

• Well done Jeff! Impressive in any grade.
  • I agree; great job Jeff!
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Great job -- very impressive grades for a set that old. I think some of the B&W pictures are very nice -- and oftentimes better than their color counterparts. Congrats.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Cool set!

I like the B & W images. That is the reason that I'm collecting a PSA '48 Bowman football set.
  • Jeff

Nice set. A complete graded set from this era is an outstanding achievement regardless of the grade, which in this case is hardly anything to sneeze at. The B@W images are timeless. Do you plan to upgrade a few to take over the #1 spot or will you leave it as it is?

Rob...
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    JEFF - Congrats! On a job well done!...jay
  • Great Set Jeff. Congrats!!!
    Always looking for 1952 Bowmans and 1953 Johnston Cookies PSA 8's and higher.
  • Congratulations. I agree with everyone here. I know it's been said a lot on the boards, but too many people put too much emphasis on the higher grades (I'm to blame as well), but there is nothing wrong with a PSA 5 (even your PSA 4 looks really nice). I bet a lot of collectors of ungraded cards have completed this set and are very proud of their work - and if they submitted the cards to PSA would be surprised (or not) that the cards come back graded 3 or 4 at best.

Again - great set. Great work.

JEB.
  • Congratulations on a beautiful set!
    yet another demented 1971 Topps collector
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Great job Jeff!!!!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    A great looking set! There's nothing wrong with a lower grade set. I love low grade cards--shows someone appreciated them once upon a time.

• << <i>A great looking set! There's nothing wrong with a lower grade set. I love low grade cards--shows someone appreciated them once upon a time. >>

This is what I mean. I don't think a PSA 5 card from 60+ years ago can/should be considered a "low grade card". I would be very proud to own a complete set of these cards all graded PSA 4 or even 3. Remember, PSA 5 is "excellent". Here is the listing for the word "excellent" from www.thesaurus.com:

Entry: excellent
    Function: adjective
    Definition: superior
    Synonyms: accomplished, admirable, attractive, capital, certified, champion, choice, choicest, desirable, distinctive, distinguished, estimable, exceptional, exemplary, exquisite, fine, finest, first, first-class, first-rate, good, great, high, incomparable, invaluable, magnificent, meritorious, notable, noted, outstanding, peerless, piked, premium, priceless, prime, select, skillful, skookum, sterling, striking, superb, superlative, superlative, supreme, tiptop, top-notch, transcendent, wonderful

Just my thoughts.

JEB.
  • Jeff,

Even the psa 5's look great - nice job!

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Virtualizard:

I completly agree with you. I only refer to them as "low grade" by the grading standards. All my sets pre-1981 are built with no condition requirement in mind. I appreciate cards in any condition and build the sets raw. Many times, I come across a perfectly centered card with sharp corners that has a small surface wrinkle or hairline crease. The kiss of death to a graded set collector but sometimes the highlight of my set. It's all your preference.

This Goudey set is really nice looking and I'd love to have one, raw or graded.

spacktrack
  • Thanks everyone for the kind words... I had a lot of fun putting this set together.... At this point I am not planing a major upgrade... In fact I am still looking for a nice 5 or 6 of Klein and Newsom . I also would like to upgrade the Derringer.. But I have decided to put them up on the wall for a month before making any changes... The 2 biggest problems I had with this set were minute paper wrinkles and Card doctors (the borders are so big they are a huge temptation to trim)..... But what really amazes me is that for the crappy quality of the paper the borders of these cards stay so white... If any one is interested I have posted a message on the vintage board about my doubles from this set. Thanks again for your kind words ... Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Good Job Jeff!!!
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Contgratulations Jeff!! Great set.

Now, you need to find that Kellogg's Perry!! image

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Great Job Jeff!!!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES