Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Quirk in the SMS weightings

There is an interesting quirk in the SMS 1965-1967 weights---I checked with BJ earlier and she said that David confirmed it is intentional. In the 66 SMS set there is a 3 point bonus for a DCAM JFK; yet in the combined 65-67 set the bonus is only 2 points. As a result, my set is tied for #1 in each of the three individual years, but in the combined set I am actually a few ticks (.07 as I recall) ahead of MTH. His DCAM Kenedy helps him more in the 66 set than it does in the combined 3-year set.

I'm not complaining (I obviously am the beneficiary of this quirk). But I just think it is a little odd. It seems to me the bonus should be the same---either 2 or 3---in both sets. Frankly, I think most (if not all) of the SMS DCAM bonuses should probably be 3. High grade DCAMs are VERY hard to come by (and very expensive when you do come by them).

Pete

Comments

• I wonder if they think more will be made?

I was about to write that Jeffersons were tough in DCAM. I checked the weights and then the populations. I guess the dimes and quarters are even tougher in DCAM!!!

Is there such a thing as unopened SMS sets? I would buy them and open them. It would be like the lottery, very little chance of finding a DCAM but very exciting imagining one might.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. The SMS's are available unopened. They were mostly sent out in lots
    and came in boxes. It is these boxes that have to be found unopened. The
    gems in the SMS's are "bunched up" even more than in other mint sets. If
    there is one gem coin there is a high probability that all or most of the coins
    of that denomination will also be gems. Indeed, there is a little higher chance
    that other coins will also be gem! This last doesn't apply to the '65 set as much.
    The '65 set is excrutiatingly difficult to find with all the coins gem.
    Tempus fugit.
  • The 65's came in the same type of packaging (envelope and cellephane) as the 1964 and earlier prrofsets. This makes them much more susceptible to damage (even if unopened) than the 66 and 67 which come in a plastic protective cover, somewhat like a smaller version of the covers used for modern proof sets---smaller and different shape but it offers the same type of pretection.

Pete
  • All the SMS CAM/DCAM weights are interesting(?) to say the least. As an example keets was thrilled (as he should be!) to win that '65 DCAM Jefferson on ebay from R&I. I had looked at it on their website but with things the way they were at the time I decided against buying it because I couldn't see spending $450 for a coin that would lower my registry point total. My MS68 is worth more points than a 65DCAM (68 vs 67)! Ok..... so my MS68 is a pop 2 coin but still.............. ? What's the combined pop of 1965 DCAMs? Hmmmm........ image Someday I'll probably kick myself for not buying the DCAM!

And Carl - if you find a source of unopened SMS cases you can have the '65s but I get the '66s. image
    ahhhh....... SODO MELVIN?????
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Pete,
    You could look at it the other way that it works against you in the 1966 setimage Then you'd be first!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!