Home PSA Set Registry Forum

PSA SET GRADE QUESTION

Hi,

I see that Don Neronde has a set that is graded 8.10 on the registry.I am presently building a set and in the early stages my set is graded 8.17,(Vics Project).If I continue to update with only 8's,will my set retain that rating or go down?Can someone tell me how the grading scale slides if that is the case?

Thanks,
Vic
Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.

Comments

• If from this point on, you add only 8's with no qualifiers, your rating will go down.
    Looking for Gerard Warren, Dallas Cowboy GUAutos, 1968 Baseball PSA 8 or higher
    1993 Bowman PSA 8 or higher
    1981 Topps Baseball PSA 8 or higher
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Vic:

Your weighted GPA will go down as you add 8's to your set, but your set rating will go up. Having a graded card adds to your set rating. Adding an 8 to your set will lower the weighted GPA, but increase the overall set rating.

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Vic, if you want to know the mathematical formulas here they are:

To find Weighted GPA (Grade Point Average) you must multiply the grade of card times the weight of card for each card in your set. Then add all these totals together. This grand total is then divided by the total of the weights only of all the cards in your set.

e.g. : I just looked up your set. You have 20 cards registered. Starting with #5 Williams - this card has a weight rating of 9 (these ratings can be found on a chart which is found by clicking on 'view set comparison' found under the registration box of current finest).
    Your #5 Williams has a grade of 8. Therefore, gp (grade point total) for this card is 72.

Repeat this for all 20 cards then total up all the gp's. My calculation comes to 433.

Now add up just the weights of those 20 cards...my calculation here is 53.

When you divide 433 by 53 it comes to 8.1698 or 8.17

The percentage completion is just total of cards in set (yours is 20) divided by total cards in set (342) = 5.85%

The set rating is your total grade points (433) divided by total set weight (647) = .6692

In order to have a set with a gpa of 8.00 you would have to have 8x647 or 5167 grade points. In order to have a set with GPA of 8.17 you would need 8.17 x 647 or 5286 grade points which is 119 points above a strait 8 set.

Right now you have 2 PSA 9's in your set - #130 Mays with weight rating of 8 and # 262 Pollett with weight grading of 1. This means you are 9 points above a strait 8 grade. Therefore, you would need another 110 points above the 8 level. So, for every .01 above an 8.00 weighted GPA, you would need an extra 6.47 grade points.

i.e. any PSA 9 added to your set would add 1 x card weight, any PSA 10 would add 2 x card weight, and any PSA 7 would subtract 1 x card weight, etc.

e.g. if you add #135 Mantle PSA 10 you are adding 2 x 10 = 20 points above strait 8.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but this simplifies it for all you non mathematicians out there.

building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Scoop,

GREAT JOB!!!!

Carlos
  • I think my head just exploded... image
    Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM
  • Scoop. Fantastic Job !!!
    Always looking for 1952 Bowmans and 1953 Johnston Cookies PSA 8's and higher.

• Scoop,

Thanks for being so long winded.Your explanation really clears up my questions.I just added some more 9's.I really appreciate the reply.

Also,Thanks to all you other guys that replied.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Thanks for accolades guys.

Vic, I just found slight error in figures I quoted. The total weight or divisor for the 1956 set is 657, not 647. But formulas are correct, so just plug in the corrected number for any future calculations.

By the way, you can do this for any set. Some of the older sets on the registry have the divisor (total weight rating) noted...if you look up the 1952 Topps set, for example, just under the description it states that the divisor for this set weighting is 986.

I do not know why they do not provide this on all sets, but you can find this number without having to do the long math of adding weight of every card in your set (lengthy if you have a 500+ set). After you register or edit a card or cards in your set, and you click on continue button, you will see a fraction and decimal calculation on the 'ready to review' page. The divisor for your set is the number after the slash.

building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9

• Scoop,

Thanks Again,

I think that you should suggest to PSA that the divisors for each set should be notated on each set.Your suggestion is a very good one and would probably be received positively.

Vic