Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Looking for PR70DCAM's eagles

Anybody have any PR70DCAM's their parting company with? Platinum & Gold & Silver Eagles. Any denom.
Merc collector.

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be posting to ebay a 1987 $50 Proof Gold Eagle grading PCGS-PR70DCAM a lucky submitter just got back from PCGS. It should be up on ebay in the next day. image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Seems like a lot of fresh 70's showing up. Do you think PCGS is relaxing the strictness to follow NGC's willingness to give out 70's? Makes you wonder what this will do for the price if a bunch suddenly start grading this high?
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    Dimetime: I didn't check yet, but it is possible PCGS had never graded a $50 Proof Eagle PR70DCAM before this month. So, there is certainly no price history on them to compare. But, IMHO, I do believe it became easier to get a "perfect" coin in a PR70 holder since Rick Montomery's departure as finalizer at PCGS earlier this month. My opinion only based upon what I have seen and David Hall's recent written comment here on the boards.

And, this PR70DCAM Eagle I will be posting IS perfect!

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Should we get any more will let you know.

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Seems like a lot of fresh 70's showing up. Do you think PCGS is relaxing the strictness to follow NGC's willingness to give out 70's?

Something happened. Exactly why the PR70s are now starting to come out of PCGS is unknown. It is possible that just like the Buffalo dollar time, a few PR70s are being made just to show (tease) the submitters that they are still grading them.

Or it is one of these or a combination of several:

1) Rick Montgomery left and David Hall saw this as the perfect time to start having PCGS give out the PR70 grade. Rick looks like the bad guy for restricting the PR70s off the market. He goes to NGC where they give out the PR70 and he looks like a jerk and hypocrite.

2) PCGS got tired of buying back all the PR70s and decided now would be a good time to give more supply to the market to slow the regrade flow and lower the prices.

3) The dealers that complained about the plummeting prices of PR70s finally started complaining about the lack of fresh supply and PCGS responded.

4) The registry was drying up and in order to inject new life into it, they are making a few PR70s to separate all those sets ties at #1.

5) The guy fingerprinting the coins finally found a new game and he's now printing up PR70 inserts for PR69 coins.
  • Options
    Greg: You forgot #6:

1. The COLLECTORS have begged and begged PCGS this past year to carefully examine their coins for the PR70 grade and PCGS has (finally) listened.

I mention this because I am aware of at least one major PR dealer who was quite happy with virtually no PR70 coins out of PCGS over the past couple years, as it resulted in strong PR69 prices across the board. The reasoning of that dealer was - it was better to have 99 strong PR69 prices rather than one strong PR70 price and 99 weaker PR69 prices (assuming around a 1% PR70 grade rate). image

Wondercoin.
  • Options
    A 70 ? Was is that ?
    I am looking for any PCGS MS 70 Silver Eagle.