Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 Nuances

Hello all ! This is my first post after lurking here for more than 2 months and I must say that it seems like I know most of you in a way and that you guys really know your stuff! Like alot of you,I really enjoy the 71 set and would like some tips on exactly what to look for in determining a psa 8. I ask because I have seen 8's that look like 7's and 7's that look like 8's. To me there seems to be a gray area.Also to the 71 gurus out there, on the 71 Rose card there is a slight arc about a half inch long above the 14 on his batting glove that looks like a hair or even a scratch.It seems to be on every card. Have any of you noticed this before and what is it?
yet another demented 1971 Topps collector

Comments

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Welcome to the board. There are a couple of amazing 71 collectors here that will be able to answer your questions...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Every Rose that I have has that arc. It appears to have been a scratch on the original black negative plate that was inked. If you check under high power, the arc in not a line but a series of printing dots
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Voodoochile,
    Welcome to the board.Good luck with your 71s.

Zardoz ,
    Thanks for the answer to the Rose question.I was wondering the same thing about the arc.Has anyone seen a Rose without this blemish?
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Zardoz, somehow I knew you would know about the Rose.If a Rose existed without this blemish and in high grade I wonder what it would go for??!!image
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    The PSA 9 was purchased by Bill Goodwin for $15,000. Some time later, the population reports showed no more PSA 9's of the Rose card -- but a PSA 10 as newly existing. No clue where it ended up, and no 100% confirmation that it was bumped -- but no reason to assume otherwise.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I am aware of the $15,000 psa 9 71 Rose, but I would imagine that it has the same blemish as all of the rest.
  • Options
    The PSA 9 was purchased by Bill Goodwin for $15,000. Some time later, the population reports showed no more PSA 9's of the Rose card -- but a PSA 10 as newly existing. No clue where it ended up, and no 100% confirmation that it was bumped -- but no reason to assume otherwise

MS

I believe that there is enough circumstantial evidence to convict
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Dependable sources concur that the Rose 10 was a 9 bump up.... All Roses I’ve seen have the eyelash on the glove.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    VoodoChile - Welcome aboard!
    Interesting ID, do you prefer Jimi or Stevie Ray's version? Both are very effective image ...jay
  • Options
    I prefer Jimi's version, but Stevie's version is smokin too. I wonder what a 71 topps Hendrix would look like?? lol image
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder what a 71 topps Hendrix would look like?? >>

VC - I don't think you'd wanna see it, wasn't that the year he died?...jay
  • Options
    Jay-Unfortunately it was Sep. 71. image Back on topic for a moment, I would really appreciate some tips on submitting 71's, what to look for in hopes of an 8 or better, although I have seen few 9's that are that impressive.As far as tens go, they seem impossible for the submitters and graders. I may be commiting blasphemy here on the psa boards, but I may have to go so far as to say there really is no such thing as a ten, especially for 71's. image One more thing, how much unopened 71 material do you guys speculate is still ou there? Vending and wax?
  • Options
    Here you go Voodoochile:

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jay-Unfortunately it was Sep. 71. image Back on topic for a moment, I would really appreciate some tips on submitting 71's, what to look for in hopes of an 8 or better, although I have seen few 9's that are that impressive.As far as tens go, they seem impossible for the submitters and graders. I may be commiting blasphemy here on the psa boards, but I may have to go so far as to say there really is no such thing as a ten, especially for 71's. image One more thing, how much unopened 71 material do you guys speculate is still ou there? Vending and wax? >>

There is still a fair amount of '71 unopened out there but I would say it is the toughest of the '70s packs. It's also the most expensive. Racks will typically sell for over $1000, cellos for $500-800 and wax for $300-500 depending on the series. I was fortunate enough to pick up a handful of '71 cellos earlier this year and they sold for around $700 each. Since the price is so high, it's a real gamble if you plan to purchase and break open 1971 unopened. With factory centering issues and very easy chipping of the black borders, getting 9's even straight from the pack is a tall order. You'll be better off scouring the earth for raw cards that came from vending, recently opened packs or well cared for sets. They're tough to find but I've managed to build 2/3 of the set in NM/MT without purchasing graded cards.
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Presently, I am the owner of one registered partial set, a 1971 Topps. I have had my share of fun sorting through raw 71s and looking over graded examples to get a pretty good idea what it takes to get an 8 (though I must admit, however, that for my set, the minimum requirement is a PSA 7). Here are my "rules of thumb," listed in no particular order.

1. Forget about having a card grade PSA 10. Though PSA 10 examples exist, they are so few and far in between that I don't even focus on, or even dream, any card I will send in will get a PSA 10. This is just not going to happen.

2. Only from time to time even dream of getting a PSA 9. This is similar to the PSA 10 rule though 9s are a little more easier to get ("easy" is probably a bad word here considering I have not yet received a 9) but are still very, very, very tough.

3. Corners are key for PSA 8s. It has been my experience that even if a hint of white shows on any corner, your odds of getting an 8 are dramatically decreased. For this issue, it has been my experience that the graders pay most attention to the corners. They need to be sharp and pretty much close to free of any white showing. Too much white on just one corner will easily drop the card down to a 7. Whiteness (or chipping), fuzz or light rough cutting on the borders can still be seen on 8 cards (though cannot be extreme). Stated differently, my experience has shown that PSA is more forgiving when chipping is on the borders, exposing white, than when the white can be found in the corners.

4. Pay close attention to centering. A lot of 71s are centered poorly. Many cards are notorious for their bad centering. This includes the Munson, Lou Brock and Dick Allen. Case in point, I was in a nice card shop the other day (nice in that it had a lot of vintage stuff) and the gentleman had a huge box full of 71 star cards. Most were beaten to a pulp with none, in my opinion, worthy of an 8 or higher (very few even satisfying the 7 standard), but he had multiples of many players. He must have had 15 or 20 Munsons and, sure enough, everyone of those cards was noticeably off centered. The same held true for his Brocks. I know this is not a scientific study, or perhaps not a big enough sample size, but become aware which cards are tough for centering.

Have fun. Review as many graded samples as you can. Start slow with your submissions. That helps. I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have even though I may not be the most qualified person to do so on the boards.
  • Options
    The 71 set is my all time favorite, and I also have one up on the registry. The information I get from members of this board is invaluable, and threads like this are great. Thanks to all of you demented 71 collectors out there!

Mark
  • Options
    Gemmint- thanks for the great info and congratulations on building 2/3rds of the set in nm/mt without purchasing any graded. Thats amazing! You must have great connections or deep pockets, or maybe a bit of both image Mefer- thanks for the grading tips, psa must be "sticklers" on the corners. I have a 71 Rose with 2 VERY,VERY slightly touched corners and NO chipping whatsoever around any of the borders and its a psa 7. Its a beautiful card. I know what your'e saying about the Munson, it is hard to find centered.I would just like to find one with gloss and four sharp corners. I can forgive centering a bit if it's a really sharp card. Thanks again for all the great postsimage
  • Options
    VirtualLizard, That 71 Hendrix is awesome!!!!!image Must have come straight from vending!! image
  • Options

<< <i>VirtualLizard, That 71 Hendrix is awesome!!!!!image Must have come straight from vending!! image >>

It is a rare 1/1image
  • Options
    By the way, I heard on the radio that Jimi's birthday is today - he would have been 60!

JEB.
  • Options
    Showing just how tough the Munson is, check out this PSA 7 example currently on eBay: 1971 TOPPS THURMAN MUNSON PSA 7
    Item # 1970312901

It is already at $100.00 with 2 days to go! I know the PSA 8 is quite high when you can find it (500, 600 or more), but this is good news for PSA 7 collectors of the set like myself. I purchased my Munson raw about a year ago for $25.00, sent it in for grading a few months ago under one of the grading specials, and pulled a 7. This was even after I had been looking for the card for a couple of years.

Summary to all of this? I think 7s are also a good investment with the 71 set.
  • Options
    I just picked up a Munson, Rose and Jackson off of ebay. All of them are 8OC, which is fine by me. Those 3 in PSA 8 are just out of my reach for now. But my OC's are beautiful. I'm more concerned with corners than centering though.

My original thought was to complete the 71 set in PSA 8, but reality has kicked in and I realize those OC's aren't that bad (or is that my wallet talking?).

Mark
  • Options
    I'm with you Mickey, I have a 8 oc Rose and it is beautiful. I'm a corner freak and I can forgive centering a bit on this particular set. I know I will probably succomb to the pressure though and fork out an extra 4 or 5 hundred dollars for a little more black border,unless I get lucky and find a sweet raw nm-mt version. This is unlikely to happen though since there are so many hunters out there. Somewhere out there lies an old shed full of 71 vending. I hope one of us gets to it before Mr. Mint image
  • Options
    Isn't that a dream for all of us? I was at a MALL SHOW recently and found a dealer who obviously was not a fan of slabbed cards. This guy had cards from the early 50's through the mid 70's, big name stars, etc. all raw.

His 71's looked incredible, yet none of them were slabbed. I'm still kicking myself for not looking through his stacks and stacks of cards in top loaders. He had a Mays that looked incredible from just a first glance.

Waiting on the next mall show in the area so I can find that guy. I know he's got a nice Munson or Rose for me. I can dream, right?

Mark
  • Options
    I would strongly suggest to consider PSA 7's. There is not much difference in the cards except for price. Also, I firmly believe the majority of 7's are borderline 8's that didn't make the cut. I have a set also on the registry and aside from a sprinkling of 8's, they are mostly 7's.
    As for shopping for raw 71's, look closely for tampering. This year is infamous for trimming and coloring. Look for bleed marks on the back and sides of cards. Good Luck.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Well this card ended at $157.50:

1971 TOPPS THURMAN MUNSON PSA 7
    Item # 1970312901

A very nice price for a 7. Again, I believe PSA 7s from this year are worth the investment and, as many have pointed out, borderline 8s in many cases!
  • Options
    Has anyone had much luck cracking out 7's for resubmission and getting 8's in return. I would guess that this has happened as there is a FINE line between alot of 7's and 8's for 71.