Home Q & A Forum
Options

lincoln cent varieties

David: Could you please tell us why the lincoln variety registry only contains 4 varieties. In addition, could you please explain why it doesn't include ALL varieties PCGS certifies. If PCGS suggests the finest sets then it seems a no-brainer to add in ALL varieties. The most difficult to obtain should have the most weight. Thats what the finest means. And lastly, this shouldn't be a difficult think to get underway immediately. Like this month. I feel it is far more important to your clientele than some of the sets not yet up and running. Thank you for your attention.

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    I think I've addressed this before, but here goes...

Variety recognition is complex. The 1937-D Buffalo nickel is a really obvious variety...but what about the the 1914/3 buffalo...I still don't understand it. Even the collector who recently paid huge money for one at auction called it a "concept coin."

And some of these varieties are very rare and impossible to buy...but more may be discovered in the next 5 or 10 years. When do we pull the trigger??? Should we recognize the 1969 double die cent now for the Set Registry???

That said, bottom line is we want to do what the Set Rgeistry participants want to do. So...we'll send out a questionaire to all the Registry participants with various options on how to handle varieties. We'll go with the majority opinion.