Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

More great PCGS Customer Service?

I got a call on late Friday from the accounting group in Newport Beach concerning shipping chrages that are combined for multiple lots. They now, do not combine them (they are the ones who told me to do this originally). On top of that, the invoices that I have in already are going to be hit for the extra charges rather than combined (as they were sent in 2 weeks ago) - they are therefore not honoring prior submitted invoices under the prior existing rule. They would not budge on this topic as they claim to have lost money in shipping over the years and have found it difficult to track.

Any thought on this? Am I too tightly wound or are they gouging me/us for extra $ and making it more difficult to strategize submissions? Does anybody still have the old deal in place? Did anyone receive this same call?

Comments

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I remember Rick M telling us about the change a couple of months ago. The policy has been in effect for a long time now. I am surpised that PCGS doesn't give a high volume submitter like you a break.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    SO YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT WHEN i SUBMIT 3 INVOICES AND 2 OF THEM HAVE 1 COIN ON EACH THAT i WILL BE CHARGED THE MINIMUM SHIPPING CHARGE for the single coins of something like $12.00? ooops sorry for the caps was not looking.

sounds like if this is true that PCGS is too lazy to take the time to spilt up the shipping costs. Don't they make enough on the grading fees alone?

am I wrong here?
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    On that note, I raise another question: Is it fair that there are different levels of service for different customers? I have often pondered that and in the business world it seems to make sense, but how many people are comfortable with different deals cut by different people? I personally get no deals other than the normal service and I submit over 1,000 coins (non-bulk service) a year.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark: IMHO, this is an nonissue (the shipping issue). I'd rather see them make a couple extra dollars on shipping and use it to staff the business to provide the best customer service possible. image Wondercoin.

P.S. Give me a call this morning.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    jbsteven

That is my understanding. This is not a huge deal to me, and I'd rather just have them grade the coins a lttle more lieniently (spelling?).
  • Options
    datentype
    can we put that in the package to them saying please grade these a little "easier" cause you are going to stick it to me on the shipping.

I bet they could put a new check box option for that one image
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    The history of PCGS Customer Service: One step forward, two steps back.

There is NO reason why they should not combine invoices for return shipping provided that the coins are graded around the same time. I can understand them not wanting to hold back one invoice for 2 weeks until the other invoice gets finished, but if you submit two invoices at the same time for the same service, then there is no reason why they can't ship them back together.

As for them losing money in shipping last year, that sounds like a load of crap. Maybe they have Author Andersen as their accounts? I pay $17.50 for shipping and the package arrives with an $8 stamp on it. I guess that cardboard box and sealing tape costs more that $9.50?

FYI, NGC has no problem combining invoices for return shipping.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Well said Greg.

I just got Hosed on the "freebie" because I have to pay shipping since it is on a different invoice!

It went in with 2 other invoices......

Absolutely NO reason those three invoices cannot be returned together!

sounds like a good point for someone to raise with DH on the ?? forum.
  • Options
    If I understand this right, the thought is that PCGS should screen all the invoices they have, hold some until another invoice is completed and then ship them together.
    Seems to me that if the idea was to get them shipped together, then fill out one invoice instead of 2 or 3 and save everyone the trouble of multiple shipments.
    I'm sure a lot of you folks are in business out side of the coin world, and as one who has been, it makes no sense to try and customize each transaction. Receive it, inventory it, assign tracking numbers, put them in the vault until ready, deliver to grader, grade, pick up from grader, input the new data, package, and ship. I don't know the volume of coins going through the cycle on a daily basis, but it would be a big stop work task to custom track multiple invoices from different customers. Oh, and what if some people don't want their stuff sitting around waiting for consolidated shipping? Timing can be a lot of money.
    Processes become cost efficent when they are simple and straight forward, that is what will keep everyones costs down.
    On the original thread of honoring a previous committment on shipping, I would give a grade of F to PCGS for not establishing a change date ahead of time and communicating it to their customers.
    Dick
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    WalkerGuy, PCGS doesn't have to screen the invoices. Submitters write in big letters on the invoice: SHIP WITH INVOICE XXXXXX. It's a requested service by the submitter. No one will have their order held if they don't request it.

You can only fill out 1 invoice if you have 20 or less *different* coins. What if I want to submit 30 different coins? I have to use two invoices. Shouldn't I be able to have these two invoices shipped back together?

No one is asking PCGS to hold one shipment for a month while another is graded. All they are asking is for a little leeway and common sense to make the CUSTOMER happy.

I should note that some people have reported without problem "lengthening" the submission form so that there is more than 20 lines on the invoice. I have thought about doing this, but I never knew if PCGS would get pissed and send them back or if it was a major problem for them. Maybe someone from PCGS can chime in on this?
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Can you send them an attached schedule for more than 20 coins and have them submitted on one invoice. For example. I use invoice #123456 for my 30 coin submission (all at one time). Can i write in the space provided... see attached schedule and then staple the schedule to the invoice.

This way I will have one invoice and one shipping charge Just a thought if lengthening the form doesnt come through.

Or as another idea... use a supplemental PCGS form that they can create to accommodate more than 20 coins with one invoice.. where there is a space to reference the original invoice with all the shipping info.

This is common sense stuff and PCGS should get it right.

Just my 25c worth.

WWQ

HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    PCGS Customer Service is like E-Bay feedback..... sometimes you get it... sometimes you don't.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    In my experience, it would not be as big a problem if PCGS did not overcharge for registered return shipping by 50% or more on each package. That is why most of their customers are trying to get multiple invoices shipped in one box. It is no different in,my opinion, than an ebay seller ripping you off for shipping.image
    Gary
  • Options
    Hello All,

I agree with all of you about the combined shipping of “LIKE” orders. For example, order that are submitted at the same time for the same service levels, Regular crossover and Regular re-grade.

I will be meeting next week with operations to try to work out a system to be able to accommodate this request. I will keep everyone posted on the out come of this meeting.

I would like to hear other thing that would help us better serve our customers needs. You can reach me by PM, or email at Charlie@collectors.com or call me at 800-447-8848 ext 141.

Charlie
  • Options
    Charlie, the biggest problem that I have with it is "strategizing my orders". I don't like big invoices and prefer to diversify out the risk of harsh grading i.e. when the invoices roll off your assemby line and are handed to the graders, i would rather spread the risk. This winds up changing the way I like to do things slightly, just so it's easier for you guys to track things and make more $.
  • Options

As for them losing money in shipping last year, that sounds like a load of crap. Maybe they have Author Andersen as their accounts? I pay $17.50 for shipping and the package arrives with an $8 stamp on it. I guess that cardboard box and sealing tape costs more that $9.50?

I asked at the post office why it cost me $12-20 to ship registered and insured to PCGS and they pay about half that to ship it back.The postal clerk thought they might have a bulk mailing discount-
    Seeing that the clerk was clueless as to this, I am under the impression PCGS self-insures the packages when they ship them back.If so, wouldn`t I have to seek compensation from PCGS(and their insurance co.) instead of the post office if lost on the return trip?
    Could someone,Charlie, clarify this? I wondered about it myself.
    A dealer once asked me if I noticed any three-legged buffalos on the bourse,to which I replied,"...no,but I saw alot of two-legged jackasses..."
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    I regularly lengthen the form with no problems. I have one with 60 lines that I use and change the invoice number to match whatever the system gives me. As a result, when I send in multiple submissions, they are always of different types. I prefer PCGS send the earlier batch when it is done rather than wait so also have no problem with the duplicate charges. Occasisionally, however, PCGS has at their election shipped multiple submissions back to me combined in one package. It would have been nice to have the shipping charges adjusted in these instances but I wasn't greatly upset by it either.

WH
  • Options
    First Off, This Is My First Negitive response to PCGS. But it is one that has stuck in my throat for a while, so now looks like the time to vent !

When you sign up for a gold or platnium user, you get 8 free submisssinions. OK COOL ! ........EXCEPT, that those are 2 sets of 4 coins, and you have to pay shipping on both invices. THAT SUCKS !

Then on top of that. after I joined up for 2 years, ( Platnium Plus ) meaning that not only did I get my 4+4 free gradings, ( after I paid for 2 different 4 coin submisittions ) but I am also suposed to get free "On line Pop" reports for 2 years, which I get, except I see that 4 months after I sign up, and paid $ extra for this feature, they (PCGS ) are giving away this same service. Pissed ? Yes !

I don't care if they body bag every coin I send in ! I might just follow R.M.

I am tired of walking on eyeshells here ! Cross every T dot every I. GET REAL !

What about those 500000 series slabs ? It is not my fault They screwed up ? I bought, what is supposed to be the best of the best slab companies, only to find out that it cost my money to do so. WHAT ? But I have to pay postage to get them to re-slab my coin, that they cerified ? So I can have a "cool number" to add to my registry ? I say BULACK ! To This !

Now I have my throat clear. If this offend you, TUFF !
    I am looking for any PCGS MS 70 Silver Eagle.
  • Options
    And Get Rid Of That "Ding Dang, I Want To Take A Train" POP up window !
    I am looking for any PCGS MS 70 Silver Eagle.