Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1888-O Hot lips variety Morgan Dollar

Here is a scan a friend sent to me of an interesting die variety of an 1888-O Morgan. He says that there was strong doubling on the dies of the lips area. It is interesting because the rest of the devices seem unaffected. What appears to be a large die crack around the rims of the coin is actually tape that held the coin in place on an album.

Comments

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just knew my lady had hot lips. I guess she probably didn't have cologen in those days to fix them up with huh?
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like doubling on the nose as well. Is there? It looks like a cool addition to a collection.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    I think I'd call this one the Angelina Jolie variety...image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    ahhhhhhh angelina, the best "come and take these I am a baddddd girl lips" around.

Ahhhh the visual......
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    hot lips is a fairly commin VAM but always nice to see one. I haven't seen one in a couple of years

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like doubling on the nose as well. Is there? >>

Oops. There is doubling on the nose and the chin is affected also.

This friend of mine works for a coin dealer and found the variety while sorting a bunch of Morgan and Peace dollars. He said that the owner of the store doesn't really care much about varieties and sold it to my friend for $10.
  • Options

<< <i>"Hot Lips". Strongest doubling on Liberty's nose, lips and chin of any Morgan dollar variety. The #1 DDO in series. >>

Mike - the above is the description given in VAMLink. I've seen those and they're pretty cool - and for Pete's sake - get your friend to get that tape off somehow! CAREFULLY! image

Frank

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file