Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Santa Clara Recap..2 days of DOLLARS !!

Hello all,
Had a great show.Leaving for the airport now.Will be home in a few hours.If my headache goes away,I will have a LONG recap with some very interesting information to share mostly about Morgans abd Peace Dollars.
Hasve a great day,
Larry
Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
POB 854
Temecula CA 92593
310-541-7222 office
310-710-2869 cell
www.LSRarecoins.com
Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
Baltimore July 14-17
Chicago August 11-15

Comments

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    PQ
    I for one can't wait.I've decided that my next endeavor,will be a midgrade Peace dollar set.I still have the 1928 MS63 Peace Dollar,that I got from you.So any help in that area would be greatly appreciated.You know I'll have to learn all about gradeing a new series.I've been watching all the posts about Peace Dollars,especially your comments.Your opinions on that series,I hold in very high regarde.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options

Larry-

I am looking forward to it.

Merz2-

Larry is an incredible resource for Peace and Morgan Dollars.

Macqui
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I also am looking forward to the news. And I agree, I've gotten one PQ Peace dollar from Larry, and another one through a contact of his. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    I think PQ Peace WISHED you were describing him!!! LOL
    Specializing in coins with "thin film interference" & "sulfur impregnated surfaces" due to hanging out with "old bags" and "wrappers"
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys,
    sorry for the delay..hung a new garage door,did some painting ,and snuck in a 2 hour nap !
    Looking at coins during the day and talking about coins at night doesn't leave any time for sleep !

Here is a short recap of friday and saturday..morgans and peace only when it comes to grades and prices.

I met Steve RKfish at the San Jose airport and took a taxi to Santa Clara on thursday night.
    This was our 1st time attending the Santa Clara show !
    It was very easy to get to from the San Jose airport..maybe a 15 minute cab ride.
    From Los Angeles it is 39.00 each way..can't beat that on Southwest !
    The pilot even sang to us image

We got up early and walked from the Holiday inn to the center which took about 15 minutes.It sure is alot colder in NOCAL than SOCAL..
    Left L.A. thursday and it was 98 degrees,and maybe it was 60 in santa clara ?
    Hit the Heritage auction lot viewing at 8 am..spent about 3 hours looking at every single PCGS and NGC Morgan and Peace dollar..even looked at a few Anacs slabs.
    bid strong money on 87 dollars..and real strong on about 10 more !
    Guess how many I got ??
    only 5 coins.
    Morgans and Peace Dollare were selling for crazy money..well..maybe it is not crazy anymore..maybe this is the new level.
    You can just about throw away the greysheet for nice dollars.
    1921p Peace dollars were selling fro 7-950.00 each and they are only 425 in the sheet !

Steve and I then walked the floor for 2 solid days looking at every single pcgs and ngc slabbed dollar..well..maybe we missed a few 80 and 81s' in ms 63..but we looked at 99% of the dollars there.
    The show is smaller than Long Beach,so it is easier to spend more time with each dealer without the pressure of moving on.
    We spent about 3 hours at one table and bought 32 dollars !
    Here are the facts whern it comes to Dollars..
    if you want so-so dollars that are not in demand..you can find them for around greysheet.
    If you want NICE dollars or ones that are pop 200 and less...throw away the sheet.
    Ebay is the place to buy so-so dollars that nobody wants...not in all cases..but 90% of ebay dollars are the lower end dollars rather than the upper end ones.Nice dollars will cost you 20-25% over ask unless you get lucky..
    Lucky is when someone like me pays strong money for dollars and then sells them on this board or on Ebay at sheet.
    This is luck ,or stupidity after seeing what the auctions are bringing for nice coins.
    Heritage and others are begging me to put my coins in their auctions.
    I will be doing that real soon.
    The only reason I sell these on Ebay or on the board at way below real prices it to get quick cash to buy other coins I like.
    This is not a sales pitch..just the facts.
    Here is an example of a nice coin I bought..
    1881s in ms65 ngc..I paid 135.00 for it..
    sheet is 74.00 !
    I love the coin..not for sale,but I buy coins like this just to look at.
    Speaking of NGC.
    We looked at hundreds and hundreds of ngc morgans and peace dollars.
    I think they grade them maybe a 1/4 of a point highher than pcgs,that is why in most cases people will pay a premium for a pcgs dollar.
    We did manage to find 8 or 9 very pq NGC dollars that we will be selling on Ebay or this board..like an 89o in ms65..beautiful clean coin !!
    Just takes looking at thousands of dollars and picking out the nice ones.
    I also bought a stunning 79s in ngc ms67..what a coin !!
    Even bought 2 1921d ngc morgans in ms66 !!
    one of my favorite dates to hunt out nice finds.
    It looks like Steve and I are becomming part time dollar dealers.!!
    Most of the dealers show us all their boxes now and let us pick the good stuff..
    We will be announcing to the world soon that we have formed a partnership called PQdollars,and will have an online store,webpage,and maybe even setup at shows in the future.
    We will specialize in PQ dollars,not plain old stuff that will be typical on ebay.
    All the coins we buy are sight seen and we reject about 99% of what we see.

Anyway..time for dinner..will be listing all these dollars here for sale within the next few days.
    Most of them are under 500.00 coins ! these are what most people want !,so this is where we will go for the mostpart.

It was a very good show for us..I added about 9 coins to my registry sets including an 83o in 66dmpl,79s 66dm,84s slider,90o 64+++ dmpl,1922d in 66,22d in 65,28s in 64,84cc cameo 66dmpl,87p in 67,94p in 64,92cc in 65..

look forward to your comments,and helping anyone here aquire pq dollars at fair prices !
    Thanks,Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    sorry..that was not me image
    look on my webpage k6ro.com and see me at my ham radio image
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    Great report
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. I had my suspicions regarding Morgans on eBay. Thanks for confirming it.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I love nice original looking coins..rim toning ,or just coins that have personality..something that you remember..Everyone likes something different.Some people like 100% pure white coins,but if you had a set of 97 morgans that all were white,why even look at more than one coin ??
    When someone looks at my collections,they all look different !
    Much easier to remember each coin when they have personality !
    the 81s has blue and gold rim toning all around the coin..maybe call it pizzaz ?? flash ??
    lots of words that dealers use to describe special coins.We will be learning how to take nice pics and be able to show these to you guys soon..

I bought 3 peace dollars with color..they don't look like morgans with color,but are so different from the typical bland peace dollar.
    These coins command more money than sheet,but not crazy money like morgans !
    Most peace dollars with color have either snake skin type toning with lots of blues,greens,gold or maybe a golden hue to them..not many with rainbows like Dale's coins image

Braddick..not to take a page from Anaconda..but most coins on Ebay are just plain old coins..
    the top 10% of the grade in dollars are MUCH harder to find..and usually collectors sell them there rather than dealers.
    Dealers get premium money for nice coins..
    Example..
    I paid Legend over $5000.00 for a 94p in 64..sheet is 4100.00
    Now whan I go to sell my PQQQQ MS63..sheet is 2900 or so,but O paid 3300 for it !
    So when you see it for sale soon,don't think it is too much money..just think about how many hours I have spent over the last 39 years looking for gems like this..I have the frequent flier miles to prove it image

Back to the kitchen image
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Nice set of QSL cards. I never new they came like that, Kind of blows my three piece battleship collection out of the water.
    AB7XY
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Hi Tbird..ham radio was a passion for 14 years..on the back burner now..those qsl cards are like pq coins image

www.k6ro.com
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Where to start......
    It was my first trip to the Santa Clara show and it was a blast! Show was a bit smaller than Long Beach and other major venues but most of my favorite dealers where there (except Pinnacle....Mark?) There was a lot of room to move around on the bourse....not as crowded (much more room between aisles) but VERY busy! Every dollar dealer that Larry and I talked with was VERY happy with the show!

Not much for me as I have reached completion in my Peace dollar set and am currently looking to upgrade about three coins so a new series will be in store for me soon.....just not sure whatimage Not a good feeling attending a show and not purchasing a coin. image I did purchase for my two boys a 1954-s PCGS 64 FBL Franklin half with beautiful reverse colors of green, red, purple and gold and a 1955 PCGS 64 FBLwith a neat golden patina over the obv/rev with burnt orange and blue rims. They both love the color coins so I'm probably going to be in deep you know what if they continue to collect coins!image

I think Larry's overall recap of the show itself about sums it up! Prices for nice coins are moving up. Larry's migrane arrived Saturday evening after spending 2 hard days looking at coins......wears on your eyes a bit doesn't it Larry?image especially when we're getting a bit older!image

Baseball: Sorry I missed you....still want to meet you sometime.

Merz: When you dive into Peace dollars let Larry know....he's got a great eye for them!

now back to work!image
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    We probably Baseball..but didn't know it image
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office