Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Another Monstrous Complete Set Auction

A complete 1956 Topps set, nearly all PSA 8 or better This should be interesting to watch, too. I doubt it'll sell on ebay, but it could be fun to watch the hit counter rise anyway.
WANTED:
2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

Comments

• Options
    <<It consists of all PSA 8's w/NQ, 1 PSA 8 OC>>

Hmm...all or just one?
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    It really surprises me that a collector could put in so much time and effort into something and sell it right when he finishes. I realize people's personal and financial situations change but I love my collection so much I would be downsizing my house, cancelling vacations etc. to avoid selling my card sets. One or two collectors selling is one thing but there have been a lot of collectors selling their sets lately. This is high quality stuff!
    Are there still collectors willing to lay out what it would cost to buy a 1956 psa 8 set?
    If I were him I would just call John Branca or Don Luschious on the phone.

Davalillo
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    .. but I love my collection so much I would be downsizing my house, cancelling
    vacations etc. to avoid selling my card sets.

I'm with you Davalillo....but expect a nasty phone call from my wife!
    I don't think this seller is trying to sell this set. He's probably just seeing what it might bring at auction.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    I agree with Davalillo. I spend a lot of money on these cards because I enjoy them. I enjoy the thrill of checking off one more card on the list of cards I need each time I am the high bidder or find a dealer with a card I need. I enjoy the thrill of competition with other set registry participants. I enjoy continually upgrading cards to a higher grade. I will enjoy completing sets (whenever that may be). But most of all, I enjoy owning the beautiful cards that I purchase. I am not financially able to buy whatever I want, but I can't imagine selling any cards unless I really needed to. If I completed and sold any of the sets I'm working on, I would definitely take a loss (financially and emotionally). I collect cards for ME, not to have the ability to say "I did it - now who wants it?". Just my thoughts.

JEB.
  • Options
    Very original scans the seller has!

The price seems very reasonable if the SMR is on target. I'm not sure how accurate the SMR is for this set, but it lists it at $36,800. With all the 9's and a couple of 10's it seem like a solid deal...

if ya got $40,000 burning a whole in your pocket.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    $39K is just the opening bid, without the reserve being met.
  • Options
    You're right.

Do you think he really has $75,000 invested in it?
  • Options
    I was in Grass Valley today, I should have paid him a visit!image

I can't believe those are the pictures he used. I think most people would rather see the cards.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Should have been marketed a different way. But that does sound like an amazing set, nonetheless.

As for $75,000 -- it is a tough call. With 40 PSA 9's and 2 PSA 10's, it may be possible, including some of the low pop. cards. Many of the team cards sell for many times in excess of SMR... too bad he doesn't have all of the different varieties of team cards, for a master set.

Davalillo -- I am with you on this -- but I think that there are a lot of collectors out there who play this game for the chase -- to prove something to themselves or to other collectors. As soon as the chase is done, they don't feel quite the same connection with the set that they once did. Though I feel the "Chase" thrill with the sets I am working on -- it in no way will get me to sell once I am done.

The most interesting thing I've noticed with these big sets -- most of them have been built over a long period of time, with collectors spending hundreds, or thousands of dollars every few months until complete. Many collectors can "afford" to build a set in this pattern. However, once the set is complete, there is a very limited market of collectors who have the money to drop on a single set at a single time. Between that and the dealers who could be in it for the break value, I think there are many more discounts to be had for those collectors who have the money to drop on a set like this.

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    My guess is that Mantlefan is correct. I do not think Don (Neronde) is looking to sell. He is still upgrading, as this latest auction shows:

Upgrade

He may also be recording bidders for future offers.

Gemmintman, yes I think he has every bit of $75,000 invested. The 9's and 10's alone are worth as much as rest of set. In building my set, I have had to pass on many auctions that Don, and a few other high-grade '56 set builders (some not even on PSA register) have had bidding wars over. And Don usually won. I also know of recent deal he completed in which he purchased 4 PSA 9's (team, semi-star and (2) 1 of 1's) for ~ $6000.

I think it will have to be broken up to net best return, though. A recent sale of a similar set that was 75% complete (approx. $30,000 SMR) with 15 or so PSA 9's broken up and sold card-by-card on ebay netted the seller over $35,000. and the best offer he got was from Chris at Superior for $24,000.... about 80% SMR.
    building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9